Jan 8, 2016
Pearland, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My 6 year old Intelliflo VS pump frequently but not always alarms (overcurrent) and stop when it goes into priming mode.
Now, being familiar with industrial pumps and drivers, I know that during start there is an amp surge that recedes after the startup (milliseconds) event reaches steady state.
It will try a couple of times and sometimes on the third trial it stays on and completes the priming stage.
I help it out by limiting the priming RPM to 2500 rpm.
My question is how is this being handled by Pentair...The overcurrent event is not enough to trip any breakers but this alarm gets on my nerves because I have to stand by the pump to baby it. What if I am out of town and I cant be by the panel to "aid" the situation.
My pool piping is not crazy and just have a new filter...
Please share your experience with this situation and ideas to resolve it...
Thanks !
Puertex

P,

This over current does not have anything to do with the AC power coming into your pump, it has to do with internal current inside the control system.

The AC that comes into the pump is converted into pulse width modulated DC voltages that that allow for the VS motor to work. I don't think you can do anything to cause the problem or to fix the problem other than replacing the control head.

Please confirm that your IntelliFlo gets constant AC power and that this AC power is not going through the pump/filter relay.

If you place the system into the Service mode and your pump's display shows an RPM screen, allowing you to control the pump from the pump's control panel, then your system is wired correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

This over current does not have anything to do with the AC power coming into your pump, it has to do with internal current inside the control system.

The AC that comes into the pump is converted into pulse width modulated DC voltages that that allow for the VS motor to work. I don't think you can do anything to cause the problem or to fix the problem other than replacing the control head.

Please confirm that your IntelliFlo gets constant AC power and that this AC power is not going through the pump/filter relay.

If you place the system into the Service mode and your pump's display shows an RPM screen, allowing you to control the pump from the pump's control panel, then your system is wired correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I did confirm it and it is wired correctly showing the 0 RPM screen.
The pump is acting weird and I am pretty sure there is no air on the suction side.
I have an external discharge (flow vis) flow meter that allows me to correlate rpm's to flow.
Issues have been going on for a couple of days already.
Example, I prime the pump, set it at say 1700 rpm (35 gpm for my system), and leave it on overnight.
When I get up in the morning and go check it out, I find it humming like if it is turning but no flow.
I prime it again, it goes through a couple of over current alarms and finally finishes the priming cycle and runs OK for a while.
A couple of times I prime it and when it falls back to the programmed rpm's the flow as previously correlated to rpm's does not match... So when I previously correlated 1700 rpm to 35 gpm, the flow may settle at 10 gpm... No bueno.
Then I prime it again, and then the rpm's and flow are aligned.
Is this the end of the run for the pump? :) She's driving my crazy !

Thanks, P

P,

A 6 year old IntelliFlo is just getting broke in... :mrgreen:

Are you running the pump using GPM or RPM??

Does your pump speed set up page use both RPM and GPM or is it set up as all RPM or all GPM?

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad.

Is your IntelliFlo a VS or a newer VSF??

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

A 6 year old IntelliFlo is just getting broke in... :mrgreen:

Are you running the pump using GPM or RPM??

Does your pump speed set up page use both RPM and GPM or is it set up as all RPM or all GPM?

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad.

Is your IntelliFlo a VS or a newer VSF??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
The ScreenLogic pump config page is set up in RPM. I adjust RPM up or down for the different circuits.
1683516788499.png
The pump is a Intelliflo VS.
Ill send respond with some photos of the pad tomorrow.
Thanks !
P

P,

I was just poking in the dark trying to find something that made any sense.

Obviously, something is wrong, but at this point I have no clue what it is.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
Thanks for your feedback.
Today, the pump stopped working altogether.
The display works but when it gets the signal to start, I hear a click and the overcurrent alarm shows up on the display along with the red LED blinking light.
What is the best pump to replace the Intelliflo VS with? Still the same model?
Is the old pump worth keeping for parts when I replace it? I think the failure is between the motor and the control head.
Thanks !
P

P,

I like these guys...

The new IntelliFlo3 has different in and out ports so some plumbing would have to change.

Pentair WhisperFlo VST Variable Speed Pool Pump 2.6 THP This is an IntelliFlo with an SuperFlo VS control head.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hello Jim,

I went with the Whisperflo VST.
The wet end is the same as the Intellipro VS and the pump curves are practically the same.
The Whisper is actually more efficient than the Intellipro VS.
Thanks for the advice.
Puertex

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.