Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone,

I just installed my Pentair VSF Intelliflo pump 2 weeks ago, then a few days ago it started squeaking intermittently. What could this be?

Please see a link of the video I took:

It used to be just on start up or shut off like the video below from another user:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dwight

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB
If it is new make a warranty claim.

Sounds like the fan in the back is rubbing against the shroud.

You can remove the fan shroud in the back and see if the sound disappears.

The second video squeak on shutdown is different and seems to be normal for the pump.

Dwight,

The only thing that you can quickly fix is the fan... It can rub against the grate at the back of the pump..

I have had a leaf get sucked against the grate, and the stem of the leaf touched the fan, and it made a similar noise when running. Unlike other pump fans that blow out, the IntelliFlo sucks the air into the motor area.

If that is not the problem, then file a warranty claim.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
If it is new make a warranty claim.

Sounds like the fan in the back is rubbing against the shroud.

You can remove the fan shroud in the back and see if the sound disappears.

The second video squeak on shutdown is different and seems to be normal for the pump.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I did remove the shroud and did not find anything in there. It looks like it's around the motor area. When I checked this morning the noise disappeared.

Dwight,

The only thing that you can quickly fix is the fan... It can rub against the grate at the back of the pump..

I have had a leaf get sucked against the grate, and the stem of the leaf touched the fan, and it made a similar noise when running. Unlike other pump fans that blow out, the IntelliFlo sucks the air into the motor area.

If that is not the problem, then file a warranty claim.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I did check the fan and saw nothing wrong in there. It seemed like it's in the middle of the pump. Oddly enough when I checked this morning, the noise was gone. I'll update my post when something new comes up.

I was about to say I have the same exact issue but I see you linked to my video! Right on haha (y)
Mines been on and off. It completely disappeared after about three weeks of ownership but it’s now back after being gone for almost a year. I still have no idea what’s causing it.

I was about to say I have the same exact issue but I see you linked to my video! Right on haha (y)
Mines been on and off. It completely disappeared after about three weeks of ownership but it’s now back after being gone for almost a year. I still have no idea what’s causing it.
I was thinking it could be a grain of salt caught somewhere because this happened after adding bags of salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking it could be a grain of salt caught somewhere because this happened after adding bags of salt.
I think it’s something internal. Has nothing to do with the fan or the fan shroud. From the sound, I think it may be something such as the diffuser or the impeller hitting the volute when the pump is running at very low speeds which is why it’s mostly heard when the pump is ramping up when it turns on and ramping down when it turns off.

I think it’s something internal. Has nothing to do with the fan or the fan shroud. From the sound, I think it may be something such as the diffuser or the impeller hitting the volute when the pump is running at very low speeds which is why it’s mostly heard when the pump is ramping up when it turns on and ramping down when it turns off.
This seems the most plausible explanation. Should I be concerned?

Mine mad a similar squealing noise shortly after install. I made a warranty claim and the tech replaced the drive/motor assembly. He said it was likely a mis-seated seal from the factory. Mine was definitely a covid Era pump so assembled as fast as possible to deal with the shortage however they could. If yours is sill under warranty I would make a claim.

Last edited:
Mine mad a similar squealing noise shortly after install. I made a warranty claim and the tech replaced the drive/motor assembly. He said it was likely a mis-seated seal from the factory. Mine was definitely a covid Era pump so assembled as fast as possible to deal with the shortage however they could. Of yours is sill under warranty I woukd make a claim.
Thank you Alhutin. Not sure if they would honor the warranty. I bought it last year and was just installed as a DIY.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.