Pentair Intelliflo 1.5hp single-speed pump temp

dmh

Jun 7, 2015
Houston, TX
Could someone measure the temperature of the motor casing on their Pentair Intelliflo 1.5hp single-speed pump, please? I have never measured the motor casing temperature, but when I was over looking at my equipment, the motor smelled "hot," which I have never noticed previously. I measured the case temperature with an IR thermometer. It was 160F in one spot at an ambient temperature of around 70F. This case temperature seems too high to me. The motor bearings are quiet, and there is no pump vibration.

This pump, which is for my waterfall, was partially submerged during Hurricane Harvey. I am concerned there may be internal motor damage. The computer on my Intelliflo VS pool pump was ruined after it was submerged. I had to buy a new pump in that case.

Thanks.

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

Note: The IntelliFlo is a variable speed pump. I'm assuming that you're referring to a WhisperFlo pump?

How old is the pump?

What is the pump model number?

If the motor is not original, how old is it and what are the hp and service factor?

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, yes, it is a 1.5hp WhisperFlo pump (I also have an Intelliflo, hence the mistake). On the label it says PMP WF-26. It was built in 2013 and installed in 2013. I replaced the capacitor once over the years. It was submerged in flood water during Hurricane Harvey. I cleaned the electrical connections and let the motor dry out after the flood water receded. I did not remove the motor case to clean it internally.

Could this be a run capacitor issue?

- - - Updated - - -

The idea of measuring the current draw is a good one. I will do that as soon as I get a chance.

By using a clamp meter, I measured 8.5-9 amps. The tag on the pump motor says MaxAmps 8.0/16.0. I am running on a 220V circuit; thus, I should probably think about ordering a new motor, correct? Any other ideas? I tried replacing the run capacitor (I had an extra in the garage), but it did not help.

Yes, I was going to get a full-rated replacement pump. The lowest price I could find was around $215. The seal kit would be another $20 or so. I found the upgraded, more efficient Pentair pump on Amazon Warehouse for $350 (opened box return item). I decided to just get the new pump and keep the old pump for spare parts. The old pump was submerged during Harvey, and I wanted to put on quick couplers anyway to make pulling the pump easier in case another hurricane heads this way. The old pump is essentially glued in place. Thanks for you kind help.

Sorry to bother you again, but I have a question: If the motor is rated at 8 amp max, what should the amps be under normal load? In other words, when the pump is working properly and the motor is good, how many amps should the motor draw after start up if it is rated at 8 amps max?

Maybe 3 ft max. I cannot get to the wiring right now, but it is hefty. As I recall, #10 or #8. The wiring is the same as on the pool filter pump, a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. It is working fine. The pump with the problem is a second pump (Pentair Whisperflo) used for a water feature.

I checked the voltage at the breaker and at the lugs on the motor. They were both 238-240V when the pump is running. The SF is 1.1 on this motor, so are you are saying I should read about 7.3 amps under normal load? I am getting around 9 amps when the pump is running under normal load, and the motor case feels hot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The motor is getting the proper voltage and still drawing 9amps per hot leg then its time for a new motor. It will only get worse from here. It's probably a sign the bearings are starting to go bad from being flooded in the flood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.