Pentair Intelliflo 011018 three phase electrical service required?

My larger surge protector (Eaton Ultra)in my main service panel is wired to a dedicated 200/50 amp breaker. The pool sub panel surge protector (Sqaure D) is simply connected to the same terminals as the incoming power lines from the main panel.

The theory is the larger one will guard all electronics in my house against surges in the incoming power lines. However, this doesn't prevent surges which may be generated within my own system, and the long electrical run between the main panel and the sub panel can act as an antenna, generating surges during lightning events. Thus the small surge protector right where the power line from the main panel enters the pool sub panel.

A few followup comments:

- The SMUD rebate is now $150, up from $100 last year, but the current rebate only seems to apply to real VS pumps (the 011018 is on the list), not 2-speed pumps. It also doesn't ask for the old/new pump HP, so you don't have to explain on the form like I did in the previous post. I stand by my reading of the SMUD form that it does not require professional installation -- that part still calls out a separate installer incentive that does require

- Agree on rereading the Pentair warranty card that the brick&mortar restriction does not apply to the 011018; the professional installation requirement does. Same analysis as far as I'm concerned on likelihood of failure vs extra cost up front.

- On the surge protector; again you have to make the tradeoff -- The Sacramento area doesn't get a ton of lightning/power surges, and I'm sure very few people have them installed, but it can be a nice extra piece of insurance. I'm going to add one when I get the pool electrical redone this spring, but I don't lay awake at night currently without it.

Jmastron, you say that you received your $100 rebate check from S.M.U.D, and you left the 'salesperson/installer" section blank because you indicate that's for a seperate dealer/insaller incentive. On the back of the new form, (item 7), "Customer is solely responsible for installation of all rebated products to the manufacturer's specifications." Also, there is even a remark at the bottom; "Mail Order or Internet Purchase (Installation by customer or customer representative): Customer". That almost make me think I don't need to have an installer, other than myself, as long as I install it in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. Is that how you read it? If that's the case, it really makes this a simple fix. I'm really interested in the rebate, more than I'm worried about the extended warranty. What do you think? Take a look at the back of the rebate application, see if you read it the same way. Thanks.

Jmastron, you say that you received your $100 rebate check from S.M.U.D, and you left the 'salesperson/installer" section blank because you indicate that's for a seperate dealer/insaller incentive. On the back of the new form, (item 7), "Customer is solely responsible for installation of all rebated products to the manufacturer's specifications." Also, there is even a remark at the bottom; "Mail Order or Internet Purchase (Installation by customer or customer representative): Customer". That almost make me think I don't need to have an installer, other than myself, as long as I install it in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. Is that how you read it? If that's the case, it really makes this a simple fix. I'm really interested in the rebate, more than I'm worried about the extended warranty. What do you think? Take a look at the back of the rebate application, see if you read it the same way. Thanks.

That's exactly how I read it, and how I believe SMUD intended it, although of course whoever processed mine might just not have looked that closely. Since it would likely have cost more than $100 ($150 in your case) more to have it installed, I figured it was worth installing myself even if they had rejected it.

I'm interested to hear how things have been going with your Pentair motors and the warranty. Hopefully everything is running well, but if any of you have had warranty claims...I'd be interested to hear how they go.

Thanks,
Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.