Pentair Intelliconnect not controlling Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump

calvin2376

Feb 24, 2024
Naples, FL
We purchased a house recently that had a Pentair UltraTemp heat pump and a very cheap/basic Black & Decker pool pump (I realize that is not ideal, we will get a new one in the near future). I wanted to be able to control the pump and heater remotely so I had a Pentair Intelliconnect system professionally installed. Everything was working fine and being remotely controlled by the Pentair Intelliconnect app but the Intelliconnect recently lost wifi connection so we had to reconnect it to the house wifi, which involved cutting power to it for a short time to reset the wifi connection, and now all of a sudden it is not controlling the heater - it's controlling the pump just fine, but the heater won't turn on no matter what settings I choose in the app.

The first available appointment from the pool company is not until next week and we have family coming in before then. If anyone has insight or ideas into why the Intelliconnect all of a sudden wouldn't be controlling the heater, and recommendations on what to try or how to fix it, I would appreciate it. I've already tried a hard reset of powering the system off for 5 minutes and powering it back on. I also understand that the only way to override the Intelliconnect and control the heater manually from the heater itself is to actually change wiring (rather than a setting in the menu), which I'd like to avoid if possible. This was all working fine before so I know it can work again, something must have just gotten thrown off when we had to reset the wifi connection.

Thank you!

I should also note that I've read a number of the helpful posts on here about the UltraTemp and understand there seem to be a lot of questions about how to wire it, etc. I did not wire it myself, the pool company did, but I can confirm that everything was working, running, and heating properly (all controlled through the app) correctly up until a few days ago when the Intelliconnect lost its wifi connection and we had to reset it. No wiring or settings were changed at any point, other than reconnecting the system to wifi. Based on that, I don't think it's a matter of not having been wired correctly in the first place (since it was all working fine before). I'm hoping it's a setting on the heater or Intelliconnect I can change to fix it. I would also note that I only have a pool (no spa) and the pool and spa temps on the UltraTemp itself are set to the highest temperatures.

Does the Ultratemp turn on when you put the IntelliConnect in SERVICE mode and simultaneously press and hold the Relay1 and Relay2 buttons for 3 seconds?

Is the water temperature sensor operational and yiu show a water temperature?

Is your pump set as a single speed pump designated a filter pump?

1708806956390.png

Does the Ultratemp turn on when you put the IntelliConnect in SERVICE mode and simultaneously press and hold the Relay1 and Relay2 buttons for 3 seconds?

Is the water temperature sensor operational and yiu show a water temperature?

Is your pump set as a single speed pump designated a filter pump?

View attachment 555278

Thank you for the reply. How do I put the Intelliconnect into Service Mode? I am happy to try that to see if it works. For my own edification, what changes about the Intelliconnect's operation when it's in service mode (i.e., what could cause it to operate the heater in service mode when it doesn't in normal mode)?

I am getting what I believe to be accurate water temperature readings both in the app and on the UltraTemp panel itself (77-78 degrees).

With respect to your last question, how would I check if my single-speed pump is set as a filter pump? I believe it is, but would be happy to check (and in the app, the pump is titled "Single Speed Filtrat" if helpful).

I really appreciate the help, and apologies for what I imagine are very basic questions. I'm fairly handy and willing to dig into things, I'm just relatively new to pool equipment.

Thank you for the reply. How do I put the Intelliconnect into Service Mode? I am happy to try that to see if it works. For my own edification, what changes about the Intelliconnect's operation when it's in service mode (i.e., what could cause it to operate the heater in service mode when it doesn't in normal mode)?
Press the MODE button.

Read the manual.

I am getting what I believe to be accurate water temperature readings both in the app and on the UltraTemp panel itself (77-78 degrees).
The app gets its temperature from the IntelliConnect.

The UltraTemp has its own temperature sensor and does not communicate with the app.

With respect to your last question, how would I check if my single-speed pump is set as a filter pump? I believe it is, but would be happy to check (and in the app, the pump is titled "Single Speed Filtrat" if helpful).

Check your configurations in the Pentair HOME app.

I really appreciate the help, and apologies for what I imagine are very basic questions. I'm fairly handy and willing to dig into things, I'm just relatively new to pool equipment.

It helps to download all the manuals for your equipment and review them.

Thank you. If I turn it on service mode and the heater works, is there a way to run the system for a few days in service mode? It seems like if I put it into service mode there's no way to do things like set schedules, etc. Is that right, or is there a way I could do that (just not through the app, since the app doesn't control it in service mode)?

Separately though in reviewing the manual you sent, on page 4 it says "Note: When a relay is designated “Filter Pump” IntelliConnect must detect a minimum of 100W on that relay before allowing a Salt Chlorine Generator, Heater, Booster Pump or other flow-dependent equipment to activate." I think that may be what's going on here, because when the pump is running, the app says the estimated power is only 20 watts. If that's true, then maybe it's not kicking on the heater. If that's the case, then it seems like my issue may be with the pump and I need to figure out how to get it back above 100W (which it must have been before, since the system was working properly).

Thank you. If I turn it on service mode and the heater works, is there a way to run the system for a few days in service mode? It seems like if I put it into service mode there's no way to do things like set schedules, etc. Is that right, or is there a way I could do that (just not through the app, since the app doesn't control it in service mode)?

Correct. SERVICE anode is manual mode. No schedules run. You can manually run the pump or heater using the buttons.

Separately though in reviewing the manual you sent, on page 4 it says "Note: When a relay is designated “Filter Pump” IntelliConnect must detect a minimum of 100W on that relay before allowing a Salt Chlorine Generator, Heater, Booster Pump or other flow-dependent equipment to activate." I think that may be what's going on here, because when the pump is running, the app says the estimated power is only 20 watts. If that's true, then maybe it's not kicking on the heater. If that's the case, then it seems like my issue may be with the pump and I need to figure out how to get it back above 100W (which it must have been before, since the system was working properly).
That could be. I don’t know how your pump is connected or setup.

Try increasing the RPM speed on the pump control panel.

Correct. SERVICE anode is manual mode. No schedules run. You can manually run the pump or heater using the buttons.

That could be. I don’t know how your pump is connected or setup.

Try increasing the RPM speed on the pump control panel.

OK so the pump is on the highest speed and putting out over 1400W, according to the pump itself (which is accurate), but the Intelliconnect is only saying "Est. power 20 watts" for the pump. So the pump is putting out plenty of watts, but the Intelliconnect for some reason is not registering them. Any idea why that would be?

I don’t know how the pump is wired or what the Intelliconnecy is seeing.

Show me the Intelliconnect and pump wiring if you want to dig into it further.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support