Pentair iChlor30 Failed after 8 Weeks

I had the Pentair iChlor30 installed the beginning of August 2021 after a lightening strike killed my old one. Then we closed our pool Oct 1 so it was open for approximately 8 weeks. When I opened it this spring(May), the "low salt" light was on even though the salt level is perfect. When I ran the diagnostic on the salt cell it thinks my salt level is 2,981 and the temperature is 119 degrees. Neither is true obviously. The salt is 4000 and the temp at the time was 70. I called Pentair to do a warranty claim but in order to do that, they needed a full "pool store computer test". I said I haven't had that done in 8 years since I do all my water chemistry work myself. They said they can't replace it unless they have one(I'm sure it's because they are so accurate). So for the first time in 8 years I had the pool store run the tests. Everything appeared fine to me believe it or not. The numbers came pretty close to my testing. BUT, the pool store showed .1 of copper. Pentair said they can't replace it until I fix the .1 of copper. Am I missing something here? That doesn't sem like very much to me. I need to get it fixed in order for them top replace the part so is there a way to get the .1 of copper out without messing everything else up? My latest test FC 4.5, CC 0, PH 7.9, CH 125, CYA 50, Salt 4000, Temp 76 degrees. Feeling furstrated.

I can't speak to the rest of what sounds like an amazingly frustrating experience, but I will say the only way to get rid of copper in water is to replace the water.

Not sure if there's a way to mask the copper in a test, or if a sequestrant will cause it to not show. If so that might be a consideration.

Asp,

Call Pentair back and talk to someone that does not have their head up their rear. Speak to a supervisor if needed.

Your cell has a bad thermistor inside the Flow Switch Assembly. This problem has nothing to do with water quality.

The failure is a well-known Pentair problem.

The flow switch is a pretty easy DIY repair, so worst case, you can always just replace it yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Thank you for the feedback. After seeing the video I'm pretty sure even someone with my limited technical abilities can do this. I also took Jimrahbe's advice and called back to speak to someone else and they are going to send me the part. They did however lecture me about "needing to get my pool chemistry in order or my equipment will be damaged". I was happy they agreed to send me the part so I kept my mouth shut. I appreciate everyone's help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thank you for the feedback. After seeing the video I'm pretty sure even someone with my limited technical abilities can do this. I also took Jimrahbe's advice and called back to speak to someone else and they are going to send me the part. They did however lecture me about "needing to get my pool chemistry in order or my equipment will be damaged". I was happy they agreed to send me the part so I kept my mouth shut. I appreciate everyone's help.
What a bunch of jerks over at the Pentair customer service department. Glad you were able to get the new part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.