Pentair IC40; No lights on salt cell

astiglet

May 4, 2024
vancleave, ms
I have a IC 40 salt cell generator with no lights on it. I have already replaced the circuit board and the small 20 amp breaker that goes with it and it’s still tripping the breaker when I turn the main breaker back onto the salt cell. I have looked at many YouTube videos and manuals and cannot find where a fuse may be that I can replace. I do not have a separate box for the salt cell. Circuit board and transformer everything is Pinar box

Welcome to the forum.
With the power off to the EasyTouch, disconnect the SWCG cord from the bottom of the box. Repower up and see if you get power at the Surge board.

If with the IC40 disconnected, then I believe that would imply the Surge board is bad.

I would remove all the RS485 connections on the Surge board (power off when doing it) and try again.

@Jimrahbe will be by later today for his view.

As,

My pull-it-out-of-my-rear estimate is that about 80% of the time, when the main breaker pops, it is due to a faulty salt cell.. 20% of the time it is the Surge card.

And it could be both, the SWCG dies and takes out the Surge card. :(

When you have an internal Surge card, you do not have a fuse like the external Power Centers do.. That is what the small grey circuit breaker is for in the upper right of the main panel.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Jim -- the breaker is popping with the IC40 disconnected, Even with a new surge card ------

Marty,

Sorry, I missed that.. :(

After your replaced the Surge card, did you power up the EasyTouch, with the SWCG disconnected, or not? If not, disconnect the cell and see what happens.. If still bad, check the voltage out of the transformer.. as follows...

Pull the red wire with the spade connector off of the Surge card and see if it still pops..

If not, measure the AC voltage between the disconnected red wire and the surge card where the red wire is soldered in place. Should be about 30 volts AC..

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support