Pentair ic40 flashing salt level good low (red) (green) before pump even kicks on.

atlasman

Apr 20, 2024
arkansas
This is the second pentair chlorine generator I have bought in 5 years. In my mind a 1200$ item should last longer??

All green lights are on on bottom, saying maximum output but red/green flashes alternating as soon as I flip power on before water even starts to flow through it. Water temp is 69 degrees Fahrenheit and flow is great. Cleaned the generator three times and can’t see any scale or dirty whatsoever. Any suggestions at all?

a,

Every time you power up the IntelliChlor, it will initial measure the salt level.. The flashing "Railroad Crossing" Red/Green lights are shown while this salinity test is in process. It will do it again, every 12 hours. This is how it works.

Most salt cells last about 5 to 7 years..

"Cleaning" the generator three times, just reduces the amount of time they last... Sigh!!!

Your cell must be wired so that it does not get any AC power until the pump comes on.. If you have a VS pump, there might be a slight delay before the pump starts. But it should not be more than 30 seconds or so.

How many gallons is your pool?
What size cell do you have? IC20, 40, or 60?
Do you have an automation system?
What type of pump do you have? Single speed, 2-speed, VS??

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is an ic 40, it is a variable speed pump. My pool people wired it all up and is has been working fine for years. Just started the red green light thing a week ago.

I ordered a flow switch from Amazon but the wires are light blue and orange. Only two wires on the new flow switch.

The flow switch in my pentair is a 4 wire white black red and green.

What wires to use on new switch??

I’m thinking it’s like 28000 gallons

The old IC40's had 4 wires.. You can use the 3 wire flow switch to replace a 4 wire flow switch.
The new IC40's have 3 wires. You can not use a 4 wire flow switch to replace a 3 wire flow switch..

None that I know of have only two wires. I think you got the wrong flow switch..

We always recommend that a salt cell be at least 2 x the volume of the pool.. A 28K pool needs a 60K cell.. Maybe that is why yours do no seem to last as long. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pentair ceased integrating 4 wire flow switches after September of 2018 so your “new” IC40 is coming up on 6 years old. Seems like you got old stock, what’s the date code sticker on the bottom of the cell say the manufacture date was?