Pentair IC40 (Cell Light Status Question)

tom70

Silver Supporter
Aug 3, 2021
Quakertown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When I open my pool I always put a chlorine floater in until the water gets warm enough for the Pentair IC40 to take control. Also, the cold water light was on on the IC40 unit hence the reason I put the floater in. As of the last two weeks I noticed the cold water light off so I pulled the chlorine floater out this week. At that time I noticed that the status light (CELL) is currently off which I always thought would be on once the cold water light is off.

To note, the current free chlorine level is indeed high at about 8 when the floater was removed. Is the IC40 cell light not on due to the level of chlorine already in the pool?

NOTE: Salt Level light is on GOOD and the flow light in ON (those are the only two lit).

Attachments

• ic40 photo.png
    ic40 photo.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 13
Press the More button.
When I do that the lights scroll on the bottom (left to right) and then light up from the bottom up: flow / cell / cold water / low / good showing the lights all work. It then blinks green on the cell and flow light simultaneously. Then it shows the solid GOOD (salt level light) and solid FLOW (light) which it stays on.

Tom,

The cell light is only on when the cell is making chlorine. As an example.. At 50% output, the cell light will be on for 2.5 minutes and off for 2.5 minutes.

What is your cell's output % looking at the lights on the cell???

See post #8

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tom,

Never mind, you have the IntelliChem, which we do not recommend as it is much more trouble than it is worth... :(

The IntelliChem controls the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Correct the IntelliChem controls the SWG. So I am guessing that because of the chlorine level being higher that the cell if off due to that no chlorine is required. I just never noticed it ever being off that I recall, but it could be. The good thing is that my pool is always crystal clear for the last 10 years and I literally just add salt (and shock very rarely). It truly is maintenance free except when a pump goes, indoor panel quits, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Intellichem set value is 700.

The cell will come on when the ORP drops below the set point.
James - thank you! As you were writing the messages about ORP it was making sense that since the value has not dropped below the set-point, the SWG does not need to produce anything. Hence the cell light would be off. I appreciate everything as I was just figuring that I would be looking to get my third IC40 cell in 10 years!

Reactions: LSU and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.