Pentair IC-40 SWG - Intermittent no power/lights

jondoepoolguy

Mar 8, 2021
North Texas
We have a Pentair IC-40 SWG (Installed March 2021). Occasionally, it will trip the mini breaker and be lights out. Resetting the mini breaker resolves that issue. Other times, it just goes dark (no power, no lights, no communication. Sometimes, it I turn off the whole power station and restart, the IC-40 will turn back on. Other times, it takes a few cycles to light back up. Also, sometimes it lights back up but just for the initial boot (red and green salt lights flashing) but then goes dark.

Any idea what could be causing this? The previous IC-40 SWG also did this occasionally.

Here's where IC-40 attaches to the Pentair Easy Touch Panel (Pentair Load Center IntelliChlor SCG):
PXL_20221213_221929581.jpg

Here's 2 transformers as well as they look a little fishy:PXL_20221213_221421858.jpg1670971187733.jpeg

J,

Just so we are all on the same page.. The IC40 should only get power (and any lights) when the system is in AUTO, and in the Pool or Spa mode, with the pump running (at least it is being told to run by the automation). Please confirm that the power to the cell is routed through the Pump/Filter relay.

When the little circuit breaker pops it is almost always a bad cell. This is not normally an intermittent problem.

When the cell initially starts up, it will do its "railroad crossing" flashing lights. If after this, all the light go out, it is either a bad cell, or the DC power from the Surge card is too low to power the cell. My system has about 40 Volts DC when the cell is not making chlorine and about 35 Volts DC when the cell is making chlorine. You test between the Large Red and Black wires going to the cell from the Surge card.

Since this system is so new, I suggest that you have your pool builder or Pentair come out and fix it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jondoepoolguy
Jim,

Yes, the panel is set to Auto and the Pool (button) is turned on. The SWG (when working) only turns on when the Pool or Spa buttons are enabled (but I haven't specifically checked the wiring). The SWG (when working) turns off when the Pool or Spa buttons are both disabled.

I will test voltages tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks for some troubleshooting tips and additional info.

I reached out to Pentair via the support request on their website.

Thanks!
Jon

I reached out to Pentair via the support request on their website.
Good. Follow up, too, as your warranty is almost up. Continue to troubleshoot, as it may be something else. But chances are Pentair will replace the IC as a first step, and even if it turns out to be something else (which most likely isn't under warranty), you'll bag a new IC for your troubles.

@Jimrahbe

The replacement unit was received 2 months ago but not installed until recently as we've still had some chilly days.

Unfortunately, I am still having intermittent power issues with it (all lights off until cycle all power).

I have checked the power input to the Pentair Load Center IntelliChlor SCG and it is around 30 Volt DC (I read that 30-35 is recommended).
PXL_20230331_175531430.jpgPXL_20230331_175552484.jpg

I also checked the transformer that supplies the SCG Load Center and it is getting a full ~240 Volts in from the main panel.
PXL_20230331_175138423.jpgPXL_20230331_175143439.jpgPXL_20230331_175150433.jpgPXL_20230331_175158365.jpg

I doubt that both the IC40s are bad and the transformer seems to be within spec. Anything else I should check on the Pentair Load Center IntelliChlor SCG or elsewhere?

Jon,

On my EasyTouch's Surge card the DC out going to the cell is 40 VDC when the cell is not making chlorine and 35 VDC when the cell is making chlorine. I think your voltage to run the cell is too low. I suspect right on the edge..

You don't also have this connected to a Iph acid pump do you??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

No lph acid pump. Perhaps the culprit is the transformer then. I'll grab a different multimeter to double check the voltage going to the Pentair Load Center IntelliChlor SCG after work. I will also try to get readings with the chlorinator while generating chlorine and while not.

Thanks!
Jon

Jon,

Just to be clear.. The 35 to 40 VDC that I am talking about is coming from the little surge card on the back wall of the EasyTouch.

The transformer puts out about 24 to 30 volts AC... and sends it to the surge card, which converts it to a DC voltage.

I'd check the surge card DC output with the cell disconnected. Then connect the cell and see what it reads.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another possible troubleshooting step...

Check the male and female pins of the two connectors supplying the SWG. Each connector consists of four wires, with two pins for each wire (male and female). One of the connectors is on the surge card. The other connector is external, where you plug in the cable of the SWG. So that's 16 pins total. The red and black wires power the SWG, but you should check the other wire connections while you're at it. You're looking for anything burned or corroded. The corrosion could cause resistance that is playing havoc with the voltage. It wouldn't really explain why a restart would solve the problem, but it is possible that the corrosion can cause intermittent issues.

Clean all 16 pins as best you can, with a proper cleaning agent and/or some light abrasion. You can find contact cleaners at any of the big box stores or Harbor Freight:

90% of all electronic problems are due to cabling. I made up 100% of that statistic, but it's probably in the ballpark.

Jon,

Just to be clear.. The 35 to 40 VDC that I am talking about is coming from the little surge card on the back wall of the EasyTouch.

The transformer puts out about 24 to 30 volts AC... and sends it to the surge card, which converts it to a DC voltage.

I'd check the surge card DC output with the cell disconnected. Then connect the cell and see what it reads.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Looks like the power from the transformer to the SWG breaker was loose and caused some arcing. Guessing that is what was causing the intermittent issues and fluctuating volatages.
PXL_20230401_171911326.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.