Pentair I7 nightmare with no pump control

BT714

Jul 28, 2020
Michigan
Hello team, first time posting here and hoping for some help. Pool startup this year has been a nightmare and my service guy thru in the towel and left it for me!

The main problem is my 2 variable speed pentair pumps are not communicating back to the main panel. They show the RPM and work, but will not go to the display mode that shows when the panel is controlling them. If I restart the system, it ocassionally works for a few moments, but then goes back. There are 3 pumps on the system, and all are in non communicating mode. I can control my pool lights, heater, blower for spa and actuators from the panel, but not the pumps!

Pulling my hair out on that one alone.

Problem 2, which I have to imagine is related... when both the unit that allows me to connect to screenlogic on my phone is connected to a coms port, and the "touch screen" panel on the other coms port, then the panel will not respond when I put it in service mode. If i start it in service mode and put it into auto, it will stay in service mode. As soon as I disconnect the screen logic cat5 box thing, then the panel instantly recognizes the panel.

I have tried using both independently, and still cannot control the pumps. Still cant control them even by pushing buttons on i7 panel in service mode, but again can all other aux connections other than pump.

When I look on screen and settings, I see no communication with pumps which makes sense, and also it says no coms with cholorinator.

Have pool running on manual mode to at least be filtering, but this isnt the way it should work.

Please help! :)

Which Pentair automation system are we discussing? IntelliCenter? EasyTouch?

Disconnect all the devices from the RS-485 comes connectors and only connect one pump. Does the pump show DISPLAY NOT ACTIVE?

What are the model numbers of the pumps?

One bad device on the RS-485 bus will cause problems for all of them. Connect the devices one at a time to identify which is the problem device.

Last edited:
BT,

The main problem is that if any device on the RS-485 bus is bad, it can shut the entire bus down.

The most likely bad device is the ScreenLogic outside antenna, but any of them could be bad.

As Allen points out the basic troubleshooting path is to connect only one pump to the main boards RS-485 com port. See if it works. If it does you know that the one pump and the main card are working. Add additional devices, one at a time until it quits and you have identified the bad device.

Things that use the RS-485 bus...
Your Pentair remote
ScreenLogic
The SWCG
Each VS pump.

Good luck,

Jim R.

if you're messing with the black/green/yellow/red comm port wires, be sure the power is off first!

it sounds to me like your protocol adapter (screenlogic cat-5 box thing) is broken, and if it's just a burned up comm chip, it should be repairable. but my guess is that if you do Allen/Jim's steps, your pumps will hopefully work with the protocol adapter disconnected. if the pumps do not work, keep trying the devices one at a time - if you can't get anything to work consistently you need to check the comm cabling... it frequently goes bad with either corrosion, loose connections, sun damage, physical damage etc.

Thanks, will check into this!

The protocol cat 5 adapter works in the sense that it will connect and tell me the pool information, but cant actively control any pumps, but can for the lights.

When you say one by one, do you mean the aux/filter connection's, or all connections like the wall panel display and the cat5 too? what about actuators even though they work currently?

Its weird, not all the aux controls are out to your point. Just the pumps despite 6 being plugged in!

Only disconnect the 4 wire red-yellow-green-black or 2 wire yellow-green RS-485 comm port connections.

The protocol cat 5 adapter works in the sense that it will connect and tell me the pool information, but cant actively control any pumps, but can for the lights.

Show us pics of the network boxes you are using with your IntelliCenter.

The IntelliCenter does NOT use a protocol adapter box. That is for EasyTouch only.

I think you may be mixing some equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I disconnect the cat 5 protocol box, the wall panel responds properly to service or auto mode, but still cannot control the pumps. Everything else it can turn on and off though.

If I do just the protocol box, I get same type of behavior.

If I go service mode on the i7 panel and push the filter pump for example, light comes on but no pump control.

Never get pump to read display not active like it did last season when properly being controlled. Sometimes on a power cycle it will start that way, but then disappears

BT,

Did you unplug the com port cable in the lower left of the main card? Just want to make sure you did it as part of troubleshooting..

Please show me a couple of better pics of your surge card (SWCG power supply) on the back wall of your enclosure. I need to see where each com port cable goes and then I can give you some troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here are more photos

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8803.jpeg
    IMG_8803.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8804.jpeg
    IMG_8804.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8805.jpeg
    IMG_8805.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8800.jpeg
    IMG_8800.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 6
Well you guys got me in the right direction and I figured out the rats nest that the builder created. He jumped from one of the control ports to a second panel, and then many items were wired into the same control port. By going through it one by one as you suggested found the bad device and everything came back to life right away. The spa remote control was the culprit, second one that has failed in 3 seasons!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.