Northern IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a Pentair Clean and clear plus cartridge filter. It appears that the O-ring for the outflow pipe has become unseated and water is spraying out. I have shut the system down and thought I could undo the valve adapter by hand and just reseat the O-ring. I guess that is not possible as these don't appear to be hand-tightened. Any suggestions?
IMG_0170.JPG

If there's an O ring then it's a threaded fitting into the filter. You need to unscrew the union collar to split the union in half and then remove the threaded portion from the filter housing. You may try to re seat the O ring but my experience says a new one is your best way about it otherwise I guarantee you will be at it again pretty soon.

Reactions: 1poolman1
A strap wrench will help loosen the filter. So will 16 in channel lock pliers. Both can be had for $20 ish in any tool aisle. You won't need either often, no need to spend on a fancy brand.

If using the pliers, go gentle. They have crazy torque and you can shatter the plastic. I found that once I had mine, the threat of going to get them loosened any stubborn connection. 'You gonna make me go get Big Red ????? *thing comes free* ok. Thought so. Punk'. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for this info! On the o-ring replacement, am I likely to find that at Ace Hardware? It would be nice to pick this up today.

AS568 is the Aerospace Size Standard for O-rings from the Society of Automotive Engineers.

SAE Aerospace Standard (AS) specifies the inside diameters, cross-sections, tolerances, and size identification codes (dash numbers) for O-rings used in sealing applications and for straight thread tube fitting boss gaskets.

Please add the material and durometer information to choose a correct o-ring.

Please see gland design to design a proper gland for these o-rings.

1709589402423.png
1709589363461.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the new O-ring and realized I have another issue. The bottom bulkhead has a crack in the threads. I have part# 178575 on order. Trying to get it in before the freeze this weekend as the system is completely down. IMG_0176.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: newdude and JamesW
No. I was crouched down tightening the drain plug and when I was standing up, I leaned on the outflow pvc too much and I think it put too much pressure on that bulkhead and cracked the threads. The O-ring was Pentair part# 86006900 ordered from Amazon.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: newdude and JamesW
No. I was crouched down tightening the drain plug and when I was standing up, I leaned on the outflow pvc too much and I think it put too much pressure on that bulkhead and cracked the threads. The O-ring was Pentair part# 86006900 ordered from Amazon.
Can't really break like that once it's completely threaded in. That's a thin/weak spot without much meat there it won't take much.

Reactions: Stoots