Pentair CYA test shows near zero

BobN54

Jun 17, 2014
Manteo, NC
I just got a Pentair CYA test kit. It shows the cyanuric acid level in my pool to be near zero. Is this a trustworthy test? Should I should buy some stabilizer, and mix up a test solution to verify the Pentair kit is giving the correct results? PoolMath indicates 3 ml stabilizer in 5 gal. water should yield a CYA of 50 ppm; correct? Do the PoolMath calculations assume 100% CYA concentration in liquid stabilizer?

Bob,

It looks good to me.. Appears to only test down to 60 ppm and up to 100 ppm. But that should work for saltwater pools...

I kind of like the sliding black dot idea. I might have to get one just to try it out...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Bob,

Good to know and only makes sense... :rolleyes:

I watched some pool guy video, just to see what the test kit looked like and I thought the video said low was 60.. I knew that sounded high but did not follow up.

I'm definitely going to buy one for some personal testing..

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Jim R.

They use this test at my pool store. (Don't worry, I don't trust their results - but once or twice a year out of curiosity I'll compare theirs to mine. My pool store is probably among the better ones when it comes to test accuracy.) It always made sense to me with the sliding dot, as it's the same principle at the TF-100/K-2006 dot test.

Would love to know if it works in practice though. If it does, it seems easier than trying to do all the drops.

Bob,

Good to know and only makes sense... :rolleyes:

I watched some pool guy video, just to see what the test kit looked like and I thought the video said low was 60.. I knew that sounded high but did not follow up.

I'm definitely going to buy one for some personal testing..

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Jim R.

Jim just can’t resist the Pentair products!!

Next trade show I go to, I’ll have to remember to grab & mail you some Pentair promotional gear!

It looks good to me.. Appears to only test down to 60 ppm and up to 100 ppm. But that should work for saltwater pools...

Actually, looking at the picture it has no markings between 60 and 100!

So it is the opposite, it doesn't test the area of interest for saltwater pools.

Should be fine for manually dosed pools though. It would be interesting to compare results with the TF100.

I was very excited about the Pentair CYA tester when I first learned of it. I thought the slider brilliant, much easier to use than drop-look-drop-look. And then realized the same: there are no markings between 60 and 100!! Which is where my pool lives. Bummer. I wondered if fooling with dilution could make it more useful, so you'd be reading the 20, 30, 40, 50 markings, and multiplying by two, but abandoned the idea because it might compromise the accuracy in some way and I might as well just stick with the Taylor test. I wish Taylor would take this on and make a useful version of this promising solution to the dreaded CYA test!

They use this test at my pool store. (Don't worry, I don't trust their results - but once or twice a year out of curiosity I'll compare theirs to mine. My pool store is probably among the better ones when it comes to test accuracy.) It always made sense to me with the sliding dot, as it's the same principle at the TF-100/K-2006 dot test.

Would love to know if it works in practice though. If it does, it seems easier than trying to do all the drops.
Don't do 'drop/check/drop/check' with the CYA test. Fill the viewing vial to 90 and glance for the dot. Still see it? fill to 80 and glance for the dot. Repeat until you don't see the dot.

Regardless of sliding dot or not, consistent lighting is key.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim just can’t resist the Pentair products!!

Next trade show I go to, I’ll have to remember to grab & mail you some Pentair promotional gear!

pg,

I actually have Pentair poles for my brush and net... They are the best poles ever and never get jammed. Truth be told I, had no idea it was a Pentair product until I got home and read the label. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just got this Pentair CYA test kit today and absolutely love it. Granted I need to get my CYA up, but it was perfect to see that my dot doesn't disappear until the slider is almost exactly between 20 and 30. With my Taylor kit, it's really hard to see the dot change with the lower numbers. With the Taylor kit, I was thinking my CYA was somewhere between 30 and 40, but with this kit is is clearly closer to 20. I'll still use my Taylor kit once I get my CYA to SWG pool level, but at lower levels the Pentair test is far superior IMO!!!!

Yes, it is the same as the link above. I meant the Taylor K-2006 test kit CYA test. That thing is hard to get a good CYA reading when your level is low.

Geez, my old brain. I totally spaced that I had discovered that way back when I was researching these. I now remember looking for every pic of each I could get a hold of, they are identical. It's probably Taylor's that Pentair rebranded... Either way, they both have the same problem (for me), there's no way to get a good number in the 60-100 range...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.