Pentair CVA 24 Actuator Died

CVA-24T valve actuator died. I ran across this thread while trying to troubleshoot the problem. I followed the link...bought a few switches. Installed them them today and BOOM the valve actuator works again. It was an easy fix! Just wanted to let everyone know this link is still good!

The actuators are pretty bullet proof, except for the micro switches. I have had a pair of actuators (Compool - now Pentair CVA-24) going on 22 years now and have had to replace the micro switches every 4 or 5 years. I also soldered all the connections inside the actuators, including the switches.

Here is a link for the proper switches (Omron SS-5T)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=ss-5t

One caution, do not attemp to bend the leads on the switches. I have found this to cause pre-mature failure of the switch. You can cut off the middle lead if you want.
I always keep a batch of 4 of these on hand.

Thanks for sharing the info concerning the mico switches sourcing. The new switches function so much better. I had to reset the motor cams because the valve travel stopped a few degrees early. With the original mico switches it became unreadable. Sometimes they would over run the cams or one valve would rotate the other wouldn't turn! This would happen when I was getting out of the spa. I would recommend changing all these switches out at the first sign of trouble because it only gets worse!

Reactions: tpn7399
woke up this morning and saw all the water overflowing from my spa into the pool instead of a light trickle. Found that one of the two actuators had a problem. microswitch ended up being the problem based on diagnosis derived from this thread. Thanks to the contributors and moderators. 20 mins of troubleshooting saved me from a new actuator!

Thanks to the contributors and moderators. 20 mins of troubleshooting saved me from a new actuator!
:goodjob:

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keepskeep the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Hi
My CVA-24T actuator has died. It controls the waterfall on my pool. I read this thread and have bought 6 of the suggested micro switches from mouser electronics.
My question is, are they easy to install? Do I need to isolate the power somehow? Can I just unscrew the cover on the valve and it’ll be obvious how I swap out the switches?
Any advice or simple instructions welcomed before I attempt this task...

Thanks, just one quick further question. To isolate the power from the actuator before changing out the micro switches, is it sufficient to put my pentair control system into Service mode, or do I have to shut power off at the fuse box to the entire pool system? The actuator is wired directly into the pentair controller so there’s no way to unplug it per se.

Thanks, just one quick further question. To isolate the power from the actuator before changing out the micro switches, is it sufficient to put my pentair control system into Service mode, or do I have to shut power off at the fuse box to the entire pool system? The actuator is wired directly into the pentair controller so there’s no way to unplug it per se.

The actuators have power in SERVICE mode allowing the toggle switch on the actuator to work. You either need to unplug the valve from the panel or power down the panel to remove power.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.