Pentair controller not communicates with pumps

Mar 29, 2010
Grapevine, TX
Hi fellow pool DIYers,
I’ve an older pentair Easytouch controller (about 15-20 yrs old) and 2 intelliflo pumps. Coincidence or not…but after a recent storm, both of the pumps aren’t talking with the controller (“display not active” not shows on both pumps). I’ve tried a few suggestions mentioned throughout this form, but none prevailed. Also did the diagnostic self test several times, and received error code 5 (UART) at one time. I now believe it could be firmware/software related issue, or a bad main board. So, is there a way to verify that? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

It sounds like you have lost your RS-485 com port.. The main problem with this com port is that any device on the com port can lock the whole thing up.

The first thing to do is disconnect everything except the two pumps and see if the pumps then show "Display not Active"... when in the Pool mode... If they do, then one of the devices you disconnected is bad.. If they still do not show Display not active, then try it with just one pump at a time.. Do NOT mess with any RS-485 wiring with the power on. It will not shock you, but can blow up the com port chips.

Things that use the com port are.. IntelliFlo pumps, Pentair remotes, ScreenLogic, Pentair SWCGs.

Assuming your main card is bad, it can be repaired..

Also... I am assuming that everything else works when controlled from the panel.. You can push the aux buttons and make the lights turn on and off and the valves turn when you ask them to, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ogdento

It sounds like you have lost your RS-485 com port.. The main problem with this com port is that any device on the com port can lock the whole thing up.

The first thing to do is disconnect everything except the two pumps and see if the pumps then show "Display not Active"... when in the Pool mode... If they do, then one of the devices you disconnected is bad.. If they still do not show Display not active, then try it with just one pump at a time.. Do NOT mess with any RS-485 wiring with the power on. It will not shock you, but can blow up the com port chips.

Things that use the com port are.. IntelliFlo pumps, Pentair remotes, ScreenLogic, Pentair SWCGs.

Assuming your main card is bad, it can be repaired..

Also... I am assuming that everything else works when controlled from the panel.. You can push the aux buttons and make the lights turn on and off and the valves turn when you ask them to, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
Many thanks for a pointer about removing all wires from the com port. Then I reinserted wires back into the port, component by component, and discovered the transmitter for the wireless remote is bad…now, wondering if it’s still available for replacement or is it time upgrading to the latest transmitter. Thanks again.

Scott

Reactions: Jimrahbe