Pentair clean and clear plus 420 fastener problem

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
I have had this filter since 2011 and the past couple of times when removing the ring clamp I had a hard time sliding the long bolt out of the sleeve. A closer look shows that the bolt bent a little due to the design of the spring and barrel nut. With the bolt no longer being straight it’s hard to slide along the sleeve.

The poor design is As you tighten the barrel nut the spring and washer move closer to the ring clamp body and push against It creating an outward force acting on the bolt. The more you tighten it the more outward force it puts on the bolt and bend it. I tried not to tighten it too far in to avoid the problem but it caused a leak. I guess I can go to the hardware store to at least to find a small washer but don’t know what to do with the spring. I am just curious if anyone else have the same problem. I’d noticed this flaw the first day installing the filter but not until recently it bent the bolt. See pic below for better explanation.

Thx

Attachments

• AF68061E-BFC2-4C5C-B9D5-798458942071.jpeg
    AF68061E-BFC2-4C5C-B9D5-798458942071.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 7
I did this to my filter clamp once. It made the clamp very difficult to remove because I couldn't get the bolt out. I was prepared to cut the clamp off with a bolt cutter, but did manage to remove the bolt without further damage. It was clear that it would be a bad idea to put that same bolt back in.

I take the blame for this. When tightening the bolt during a previous cleaning session, I must have put too much downward pressure on the wrench, bending the bolt. I now take care not to put any weight on the wrench when tightening.

My quickest fix for this was to run to my local pool store and buy the entire belt clamp assembly. There did not seem to be an option to buy just the bolt. So now I have an extra clamp for future use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.