Pentair check valve flaps “dissolving”. Is this a common problem?

Jun 10, 2010
Southern, CA
My salt water pool has five Pentair check valves and one Jandy check valve.

The pool is 14 years old. The Jandy valve has never been replaced and looks and works fine.

The Pentair valve flappers only seem to last about three years. And cost like $75 - $130 each, and I need five each time.
(this year, I replaced them with aftermarket flaps. We’ll see how long they last.)

The flappers on the Pentair valves flapper seals disintegrate into gross monstrosities of gooey white stuff that almost looks scary. Photos attached.

I‘ve contacted Pentair about this several times since the first time I replaced them about 12 years ago.
I’ve sent them pictures. I’ve sent them links to Amazon reviews with pictures just like mine. I even sent them a valve flap.
They continue to tell me that I’m the first they ever heard of it…

It can’t be that hard to replace the rubber with something actually compatible with pool water.

Since they tell me they’ve never heard of this problem, I was hoping to hear from others. Is it really just me?

~ Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4850.jpeg
    IMG_4850.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 22
Ph 7.7
Cl 2.0
TA 75
Cya 70
Ch 500
Salt 3600
This doesn’t answer your original question but chlorinating with a SWCG when the pool has a CYA concentration of 70ppm requires you to maintain a minimum Free Chlorine concentration of 3ppm, with ideal FC levels being 5 to 10ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.