pentair 400k btu heater: should I install bypass valve to protect heater element?

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

Last year I bought a pentair 400k btu pool heater. I also got my 19k gallon in-ground gunite pool replastered. Hindsight what it is, I probably should not have gotten the heater when replastering, as it was difficult to maintain the pH (it was often 7.8-8.4 last summer). And for the first time in 5 years, I started getting copper readings during water testing. I believe it was no higher than 0.5ppm. Everyone told me not to worry about the copper reading being 0.5, but since I never had that reading before, I made the assumption that it was coming from the heater element in the heater.

So I want to protect the heater element from being ruined. I am considering installing a bypass valve kit (pentair part #462048). I currently have a 2014 pentair whisperflo 2HP that I am thinking of upgrading to a newer whisperflo VST or intelliflo VSF. I also have an older mechanical dial timer that I use to turn the pump on/off.

My questions: am I worrying about this too much? Should I install a bypass valve? Will the stale water created from the bypass valve cause the same problem I am trying to prevent?

If installing a valve is recommended, should I save $ by just installing a manual valve or get the automated one? I also read about increased pump pressures and GPM flow differences being affected by installing this valve but don't really understand it or if it will negatively affect my equipment.

Thanks in advance...

Show us a picture of your equipment set up. And also a picture the plumbing in and out of the heater.
A heater bypass is a good idea. You can make one Heater Bypass - Further Reading
The use of a manual valve is all that is needed . Others may have additional feedback.

If you move to a VS pump then you want it to have constant power so you wll connect it differently then how the existing pump is connected. You will use the program on VS pump to set a schedule

Does your heater have a 5 button or 6 button keypad?

No automation on your pool?

Your MasterTemp Connected Heater supports an automatic heater bypass using an IntelliValve connected to the socket labelled BP_VLV on the PCBA in the heater. Pentair has the AUTOMATIC BY-PASS VALVE KIT (P/N 462048) FOR MASTERTEMP® AND MAX-E-THERM® POOL AND SPA HEATERS

However Pentair has a bug in the operation of the BP_VLV which has been fixed in MasterTemp firmware 2.X. Check what firmware you have on your heater. You may want to discuss with Pentair support based on the manufacturing date of your heater.

Last edited: