PebbleTec this Monday, company says in-floor collars are set to high and refusing job now

Nonyabiz

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2023
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Long story short I hired a plaster company to do my pebble tec. I was very specific with them and asked them how high they wanted me to cut the in-floor pipe above the shotcrete, they told me a half an inch. The plumber did just that and set the collars. The result from shotcrete was 1/2" of pipe + 1/2" of collar. Plaster company then came out to do pre-plaster inspection and stated that the collars are half an inch too high as they are approximately 1 in above the level of the shotcrete. I showed them the email stating what they had told us to do. They didn't care what they had previously stated and that they needed to be moved and not their fault, I was glowing red... To pile up my frustrations, I BEGGED them to please cut the pipes as I wanted to avoid this exact scenario. They refused and said my plumber had to cut the in-floor system pipes.

The spacing around the in floor system pipes is not deep enough to be able to cut out below the collars to put on a new extension and insert new collars. Therefore this is going to require jackhammering up the concrete around all the different in floor pipes (36 of them) to be able to set new collars.

This is going to cost me anywhere between 5,000 to $7,000 to correct. What do you all think is a reasonable solution to this issue? Is Pebble tec not able to be laid 1 in thick?

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Your plaster company advised they are not willing to apply the 1” of plaster thickness so lowering the collars seems to be the best solution or finding a company that will.2A574AD6-9655-415D-BD45-B05BD8855365.jpegE36CF550-CFD9-4D10-85D1-460F7A988D01.jpegFD911B6C-ED53-4F3C-9589-7F504F976486.jpeg
1/2” is standard thickness although I have seen it applied thicker, most commonly around bubblers on reef steps.
Lowering the collars is time consuming due to the possibility of damaging the pipes.
The pictures provided are of a single deck jet that needed lowering and that took some time, I can’t imagine 36 of them.
Have you contacted other plaster companies for bids?
One of the problems is that your plaster company would rather be plastering than chipping out 36 in floor cleaning heads.

I think you need to decide if you would rather throw a few thousand towards chipping and lowering the heads or to a plaster company for additional time and materials to lay down 1 inch of plaster on the pool floor.

Did you ask the plaster company how much to lay 1 inch?

Lets see if @onBalance has thoughts.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I was trying to gather information before formulating a proper response with possible resolutions. Obviously, my preference is to not jackhammer and lower any collars due to potential damage of pipes and exposure of rebar. I am curious if 1" thick Pebble Tec is allowed/possible. I assume it is, it just requires double the amount of material on their end. I have already contacted a few other companies who will come out later this week to look it over and provide bids. I really appreciate all of the input and advice everyone has contributed thus far, this forum is fantastic!

Ask Pebbletec...

Customer Support

[email protected]

U.S. Headquarters

8435 N 90th St. Suite 6
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
I did call PebbleTec, they said they don't recommend more than 1/2 inch. I also confirmed this with a few different plaster/pebble companies that came out to the house.
I think another plaster company will be willing to apply a little extra plaster material (one-half inch) around those fittings. I think jack-hammering is the wrong solution.
So I did get a few out to the house. Two of them said they would do the 1" thick by "mounding" around the heads. This would cause several issues. 1. I would end up with piles of dirt between mounds, the system would not work as well as intended, light reflections at night would look like a bunch of small volcanoes etc... The main issue they brought up though is that the Pebble will likely crack and/or delaminate after a year or two.

Given all the above, I decided a 1" thick application wouldn't work. With all that info I did some research and talked with my plumber and it looks like we MAY have found a solution. They make devices for PVC that reams out the inner diameter of 1" and larger sched 40. The plan is to cut off the top 1/2" of the collars, then ream out the remaining 3.5" of the collar inside the 2" PVC. Then, we glue in the new collars at the 1/2" height. This eliminates the need for breaking up the shotcrete around the PVC and the reamer product claims to maintain the integrity of the PVC. I'm skeptical but also hopeful this works. All I have been able to find online are reamers for the female side of fittings (so 1.5", 2", 2.5" diameter reamers etc) but we need to ream out the inside of a 2" pipe, not core down a 2" pipe. I imagine this would require a 1 3/4" reamer to achieve? I'll report back once they try it out.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your plumber is probably referring to a hub saver. My friend is a plumber and told me about these devices, they are very useful at times

I am at a loss to understand the claim that the pebble finish "will crack or delaminate after a year or two." Many return line fittings are not always perfectly flush with the surrounding area.
But I am glad that the height of the in-floor fittings can be lowered without a lot of expense, which will be the ideal.
Hope it all works best for your pool finish.

On my pool, we had several holes that went through the gunnite to the dirt below to allow ground water up into the pool during construction. The gunnite was very thick in spme places. To fill the holes they used the pebble tech... My understanding is its colored Portland cement so i dont get the thickness limitations either.

Your plumber is probably referring to a hub saver. My friend is a plumber and told me about these devices, they are very useful at times
This is what I'm confused about. That tool reams out 2" PVC to be able to re-use the female adapter portion of PVC. The pipe coming up for my Infloor has a 2" dimension, that tool would just rip up the pipe along.with the collar inside. Anyway, I'll check back in once they give it a go.

yeah. That tool is for saving the 2" fitting.

The 2" socket saver will make the pipe go bye bye.

2" ID is 2.047"

So the 1.5 reamer will take away 1.9". from there you might be able to peel the rest out.

Make sure they or you have the 1.5" reamer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.