Pay to close, or DIY?

This is not a pop up system, they are simply grills in the floor that work exactly as the wall returns do, they are controlled by the same Jandy valve that controls to wall returns, turn the valve one way, wall works, turn the other way, floor works, put it in the middle, both work.

This is not a pop up system, they are simply grills in the floor that work exactly as the wall returns do, they are controlled by the same Jandy valve that controls to wall returns, turn the valve one way, wall works, turn the other way, floor works, put it in the middle, both work.

Then closing with air and locking the system is your only option. Not all 3 necessarily have to be bubbling at the same time, but one would think this would be the case. My main drain is tied in together under one line. When I blow with the Cyclone, the first starts and within seconds the second goes as well.

I'm concerned with the 3 floor returns though, I isolated that line and let the blower run for a good 10 minutes, and only the return in the shallow end bubbled, my son braved the 62 degree water and covered the shallow return forcing the mid return to start bubbling, but we never got the deep end return to bubble.

The same idea with the returns. Close one off and the next one starts blowing. You can not do this with your system and now I understand better. Only option to close this early when water is warmer, have your son and his friend come over. Hopefully, they are of legal drinking age to reward them.

If you removed most of the air the system and closed the bypass valve, I think you should be fine through the winter.

One wonders why pool builders do things most of the time.

I've read this entire thread and I don't understand how you plugged the floor drains. How did you plug them after blowing them?

Mike.

For the floor drain and floor returns, I blew air through them until they bubbled for a minute or so and then turned the related Jandy valves to air lock them, no plugs involved with those.
I have 3 floor returns, I was only able to get the one in the shallow end to bubble, PoolGuyinCT let me know that that was fine for those as the riser was cleared of water.

I just wanted to post a follow up to closing my pool myself for the first time.
it appears that I was successful, cover is off, pump is running and nothing appears to be leaking.
I worried all winter about the "what if's" but with the help of this forum, it all went well, thank you!

Good job! I was a little nervous at first as well, but now it's been 3 years of opening and closing and it has always worked out fine. My pool company wanted $500 for each open and close, so I've saved about $3k so far on just that portion of pool ownership. Yes, it some extra work, but at least I know it is being done perfectly every time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.