Paver tube length

Alpool

Sep 6, 2023
Toronto
Good day everyone,

Planning on installing a safety cover over my inground pool. The dog ripped our vinyl cover in the spring. I chose the safety cover so that he wouldn’t rip apart another new vinyl snap in cover. He couldn’t resist the water that had melted and pooled over the vinyl cover. Once he reached the steps (with wooden cover) he probably had a challenge getting out due to the vinyl cover lowering from the weight of the snow and water.

I have pavers over a gravel and HPB bedding. Not sure what length aluminum tubes with anchors I should be installing. The options I have found are 10” or 18” with brass anchors. Is there a particular length that would be better. I’m worried that I will have trouble hammering in the longer ones.

Also, the pool cover that I will order is not custom. My pool is 15 x 29. Rectangular with angled corners. Steps in the Centre at one end. If I get a rectangular pool cover that is 18x32 it will cover two ends with more overlap. I’ll space it out so that the overhang is even on all sides. Will the longer overhang be an issue?

Appreciate any feedback. Nervous about this install. Doing it myself will keep it on a reasonable budget.

Hey AI and Welcome !!!
The options I have found are 10” or 18” with brass anchors. Is there a particular length that would be better.
10 is fine as the first couple of inches is where the strength is coming from. It's 100% lateral force and to move the anchor, the network of pavers needs to shift. Either the 10 or 18 will pull right out in an upward fashion.
Will the longer overhang be an issue?
I've seen it claimed both ways. Mine has a good deal of overhang at my stairs and it was reinforced with a double layer. If they're only modifying a stock cover, it's not nearly as expensive as doing a one off, but you'd need to use a dealer and not an online wholesale.
The dog ripped our vinyl cover
Be warned it's not necessarily greener on the other side. I wanted to leave mine open but was worried about the dogs taking the frozen shortcut. My Bassett ripped the brand new cover playing on it and I had to build a string fence, to protect the cover, that protected the dogs. 🤦‍♂️

Screenshot_20230907_074237_Gallery.jpg

Hey AI and Welcome !!!

10 is fine as the first couple of inches is where the strength is coming from. It's 100% lateral force and to move the anchor, the network of pavers needs to shift. Either the 10 or 18 will pull right out in an upward fashion.

I've seen it claimed both ways. Mine has a good deal of overhang at my stairs and it was reinforced with a double layer. If they're only modifying a stock cover, it's not nearly as expensive as doing a one off, but you'd need to use a dealer and not an online wholesale.

Be warned it's not necessarily greener on the other side. I wanted to leave mine open but was worried about the dogs taking the frozen shortcut. My Bassett ripped the brand new cover playing on it and I had to build a string fence, to protect the cover, that protected the dogs. 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 528104
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I will go with the 10" tubes. I'm concerned I'll have trouble drilling the 18" ones into some areas where they will have to sit in a retaining wall.

I may have to look into a fence option for next year to keep the retriever out. Right now I am facing a winter with no cover, so this will have to do and would be less expensive than purchasing a step cover and another Vinyl clip in cover.

I like your set up with the fence. Mine would jump over that. I would have to hook it up to power to keep him out.

fence. Mine would jump over that. I would have to hook it up to power to keep him out.
My big one jumped over it once and quickly realized she fouled up. The look on her face was priceless. :ROFLMAO: It was more of a mental barrier but it worked 99 out of 100 times.

I slapped that together with supplies on had last year and it did ok. This year I'm going to use plastic snow fence that they won't be able to wiggle through. I'll do similar stakes into the ground around the perimeter and taller uspide down T posts on the patio. I'll secure the fence with a couple bags of zip ties.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.