Paver Patio over underground pool pipes?

Kcdc42

Jul 19, 2016
Kansas City, MO
We are thinking of building a paver patio in an area next to the pool. So basically, the contractor will build a base using AB-3 (not concrete) and a small retaining wall (since the area is in a slope) and lay pavers. I just this week realized that there are PVC pipes that run to the pool underground in that same area.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone done something similar and are there any concerns I need to have or is there a chance I may have to reach the pipes? Lived here for 10 years but no issues until now. Pool is around 25 years old so I am guessing the pipes are around 25 years old as well.

Should we try to locate the pipes (by a professional) and build the patio in such a way to avoid the path (although that might be hard)?

I have not started any work so would not be opposed to aborting the plan altogether. :)

It's almost impossible to have an inground pool without some sort of decking over the plumbing somewhere, whether pavers or concrete. Unlike concrete deck work (cutting, heavy lifting, etc), I would think pavers would be a decent option because if you ever did have a leak later, you could lift the pavers, do the repair, and replace them afterwards. Now if you are fortunate enough to have pathways to & from the pool where plumbing could be routed with nothing over the top other than topsoil, that's certainly an option as well.

Reactions: Kcdc42 and Newdude
+1. If you ever had a problem under a deck, a paver deck is the one to have the problem under. The labor incurred by recompacting the base afterwards is money well spent to not have any hideous patches. :)

Reactions: Kcdc42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.