Paramount pop is stuck in the hole even with retaining ring removed

stevehollx

Jul 24, 2023
sarasota, fl
I am troubleshooting some of my paramount valet (old style 4 pin) popup cleaners.

After replacing the gear module a few still didn’t work. I got the pro tool to unscrew the ring and was able to remove the retaining ring. It was on very tight. I think when they put pebble tech in the pool epoxy got in the popup holes.

So the popup is not coming out with the ring gone. I know these should be free moving with the ring removed. A few other sin the pool I had to remove the ring and wiggle to get it unstuck and now they work.

But this one is on GOOD. I’ve banged it with a rubber mallet on the top or glancing blows, tried to pry with a screwdriver from the sides, hammer and screwdriver from the side.

Any ideas how to dislodge this bugger? I took a chunk off the top already trying to get it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 6
Can you get a channel lock pliers or similar around it?

In looking at a good popup and the infloor mounting flange, is there anything else holding the popup in besides the retaining ring?

You may have to take it out piece by piece - carefully.

I finally got the bugger out. I hammered a 2” pvc pipe over it and then gave side to side blows of the pipe to rock the base loose. It took a few minutes but got it loose without damaging the female threads on the socket.

All the other stuck ones came out with just a tap but this one was on good.

Reactions: proavia
I finally got a stuck paramount valet popup out of its socket but destroyed the popup in the process. The socket threads are still fine.

Unfortunately the paramount valet popup is discontinued.

The recommendation seems to be the a&a (now pentair) retro with the spring, but I don’t have enough pressure to defeat the spring so they don’t fully popup.

I tried to cut part of the spring off to reduce tension but then it doesn’t lower well since there is no weight.

Any other options for replacements? I do like the design of the pentair but I guess would need something rated for a lower pressure system. Do they make lower tension springs or something?

Last edited:
Maybe call A&A and see if they have any suggestions. They are in PhoenixAZ and presently 3 hours earlier than you.

You may also wish to PM this member to see how they faired and if they have any suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.