SKS365

Mar 25, 2023
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a paramount in floor cleaner that came with the house. I have two separate zones each with its own booster pump. I have replaced both 6 port module twice. The pressure does not stay at 20 it drops to 0. The system used to maintain pressure then switch ports. My filter pressure stays around 20 and I have directed valve to only the In floor cleaner and the main drain. It’s almost like the pump will not prime but I have filled them with water and both start then pressure goes down. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• F9944606-F0FE-4E01-ACEC-1578AB012373.jpeg
    F9944606-F0FE-4E01-ACEC-1578AB012373.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 75FA9B0C-9FD4-4D73-8FC7-A59078B4B353.jpeg
    75FA9B0C-9FD4-4D73-8FC7-A59078B4B353.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 26
You indicate your IFC has a pump for each zone, then refer to the filter pressure. Ideally the IFC is independent and powered by a pump on a completely seperate loop, including its own suction. We've seen some PBs power them with filter pumps but this isn't advised, nor does it sound like your setup.

Instead, it sounds like your pumps are sharing a suction source with each other and the filtration pump. Possibly the main drain. This is the only way it would affect your filter pressure, as they would steal water from your filter pump and this would be pronounced if the MD was the only open suction for the filter pump.

I'm making some assumptions here based on vague photos and your description.

That said, lets start over and answer these two questions for me:

1. Where do your two IFC pumps pull water from? Extra wall drains? The equalizer port in the skimmer? The main drain?
2. The pressure gauge you are reading - where is it? Is it the gauge on the 6-port valve top/s or the filter cartridge?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Is all water going to both water distribution valves filtered first?
In you pics, I count 5 pumps? Are there more? What does each do?
Variable speed or single speed?

Explain how the system cycles the water - lotsof pumps and piping going on there.
Is this a pool only or a pool/spa combo?

Are your pipes labeld? If not, consider figuring out what each goes to. Will make your life much easier going forward.

Post a pic of both water distribution valves.
Usually, if the gauge reads correctly and then goes toward zero, it means there is debris getting caught in the valve screen (if it has one) or in the valve mechanism itself.
When you start the pump, does it start at 20 and go down from there each time you run the pump - or does it start at 20 and go down over time with subsequent pump runs?

You indicate your IFC has a pump for each zone, then refer to the filter pressure. Ideally the IFC is independent and powered by a pump on a completely seperate loop, including its own suction. We've seen some PBs power them with filter pumps but this isn't advised, nor does it sound like your setup.

Instead, it sounds like your pumps are sharing a suction source with each other and the filtration pump. Possibly the main drain. This is the only way it would affect your filter pressure, as they would steal water from your filter pump and this would be pronounced if the MD was the only open suction for the filter pump.

I'm making some assumptions here based on vague photos and your description.

That said, lets start over and answer these two questions for me:

1. Where do your two IFC pumps pull water from? Extra wall drains? The equalizer port in the skimmer? The main drain?
2. The pressure gauge you are reading - where is it? Is it the gauge on the 6-port valve top/s or the filter cartridge?
Thank you for the reply. I will do my best to answer the questions.
1. They pool water from the skimmer.
2. The main filter is at 25. But when I referred to not holding pressure I left pled at the pressure on top of both of the port module’s.
I have added a few more pictures

Attachments

• 7CDFEC29-E8D9-4559-9414-2944CED6ED3D.jpeg
    7CDFEC29-E8D9-4559-9414-2944CED6ED3D.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D4C91B8-9BAA-4F7D-B3C3-5D66BF2C7931.jpeg
    2D4C91B8-9BAA-4F7D-B3C3-5D66BF2C7931.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 9E08AF87-0F34-480E-841B-EB9ADAE40D9C.jpeg
    9E08AF87-0F34-480E-841B-EB9ADAE40D9C.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Is all water going to both water distribution valves filtered first?
In you pics, I count 5 pumps? Are there more? What does each do?
Variable speed or single speed?

Explain how the system cycles the water - lotsof pumps and piping going on there.
Is this a pool only or a pool/spa combo?

Are your pipes labeld? If not, consider figuring out what each goes to. Will make your life much easier going forward.

Post a pic of both water distribution valves.
Usually, if the gauge reads correctly and then goes toward zero, it means there is debris getting caught in the valve screen (if it has one) or in the valve mechanism itself.
When you start the pump, does it start at 20 and go down from there each time you run the pump - or does it start at 20 and go down over time with subsequent pump runs?
5 pumps
1 variable pump spa
2 variable pump filter
3 and 4 IFC pumps
5 variable waterfall pump
I don’t know exactly where the flow goes but I’m guessing the main and spa drains go to the filter. It seems like the skimmers are shared with filter pump and both the IFC pumps
I added more pictures on other reply

Thank you

Thank you for the reply. I will do my best to answer the questions.
2. The main filter is at 25. But when I referred to not holding pressure I left pled at the pressure on top of both of the port module’s.
I have added a few more pictures
On the first photo the IFC pump in the middle has some silicon around the pipes and I plan to replace that pipe to the pump. Could an air leak be the problem?

How many main drains (on bottom of pool) are there?
How many sidewall drains (on sidewalls of pool) are there?

Is this a pic of the 2 IFCS pumps?
1679846240834.png
If so, they don't appear to be filtered before water comes to the pump, as evidenced by the leaf debris visible thru the lid. If the water returns directly to the water valve (not via the filter), there is a high possibility of debris impeding the system from correctly operating - as some of the debris (and all of the finer dirt) will get thru the pump basket. It is always best to use filtered water for IFCS.

For the 2 water valves - is one for the pool and the other for the spa?

When the IFCS is first turned on, is the initial pressure almost always near 20 and then decreases slowly over time?

View attachment 478905
If so, they don't appear to be filtered before water comes to the pump, as evidenced by the leaf debris visible thru the lid. If the water returns directly to the water valve (not via the filter), there is a high possibility of debris impeding the system from correctly operating - as some of the debris (and all of the finer dirt) will get thru the pump basket. It is always best to use filtered water for IFCS.

When the IFCS is first turned on, is the initial pressure almost always near 20 and then decreases slowly over time?
There are one main drain for pool and one for the spa.
Sidewalls three for pool (one is for waterfall) two for the spa.
The picture is of both IFCP and the waterfall pump.
There is a valve labeled vacuum and main drain. Right now I have the vacuum side off.
The pressure for the IFCs both start at 0 and then go up to 20 then before that cycle is over is goes back to 0

Where does the vacuum valve line terminate in the pool?
If you open the vacuum line, what effect does it have on the IFCS (with IFCS pumps running)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

View attachment 478905

When the IFCS is first turned on, is the initial pressure almost always near 20 and then decreases slowly over
Where does the vacuum valve line terminate in the pool?
If you open the vacuum line, what effect does it have on the IFCS (with IFCS pumps running)?
Not sure about the vacuum line. When I close the main drain and open the vacuum line the main filter pump goes into over drive but has no impact on the IFC

Pull? It doesn't appear they pull from the skimmer. And this would be less than ideal, and unusual. I'm thinking they have a dedicated pull from wall drains. More on that below.
I'e tried to decipher "left pled" but I'm coming up short. I'm just gonna assume you were confirming the pressure you were monitoring was the gauge on the 6-port top.
Sidewalls three for pool (one is for waterfall) two for the spa.
I agree one of the wall drains is likely for the waterfall. The other 2 are likely for each of the IFC pumps. This assumes you aren't confusing the skimmer equalizer as a wall drain as well.
There is a valve labeled vacuum and main drain. Right now I have the vacuum side off.
Vacuum/cleaner intake is irrelevant in the context of the current topic so you can rest easy an ignore that for now. Keeping it biased to the MD is fine.
5) variable waterfall pump
For what it's worth, you only have 2 VSF pumps. One for filtration and another for likely what you suggested as your spa jets pump. The larger pump on the right-end is a single speed XF pump.

I don't disagree with Proavia about debris being a potential problem, but in our area, most IFC systems are plumbed into wall drains and we rarely have debris pull through them unless we have unusual monsoonal mud etc enter a pool. Wall drains tend to be fairly sheltered from junk. So while it's possible, maybe likely, I haven't seen it happen.

I have been trying to make sense of the image you sent of the tangled web of three 3-ways in front of your filter. can you explain this to us?
Also, can you confirm the Spa jet pump has automation? It appears it has an actuator - what does this do differently in your spa?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.