Paint vs Plaster

armyofda12mnkeys

Jun 29, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
Hello everybody,
We have a concrete pool from the 1960's, about 30,000+ gallons.
and pretty sure its a painted pool as I remember someone coming to paint it 10 years ago.
Since its lasted 8-10 years since the last repaint so I *assume* epoxy (and not rubber). Although I painted the top 1foot of the pool this spring with Acrylic paint as it was getting pretty rough there with lots of larger spots exposing the concrete. and now the bottom of the pool is starting to show spots all over where the paint is coming off exposing the concrete looks like.
My question is since I have a mix of paint on the pool shell, I assume I have to get rid of all the paint with a pressure washer (well I'll probably hire someone to do this work) and decide whether to re-paint with epoxy fully or plaster.
Note: we have to do some pool repair as well (some parts under the coping pushed some tiles into our pool, so we'll have to figure out what caused those issues, fix those damaged areas, and re-tile the pool).
With these inflation costs nowadays, what makes sense? Is plaster a better option or paint cause much cheaper?
I think I read because of US paint formula requirements, paints don't last as long. Is that true? or epoxy will still give a strong 8-10 years?
Note: we don't get alot of direct sun, maybe 5hrs direct with the sun overhead because of all the tall trees around us, so maybe paint can last longer?

Thanks!,
Ari

Reactions: MommaLynn
Pool paints now seem to last 2-3 years due to EPA regulations affecting their formulations. Some folks report chalking of paint within a year.

We don't recommend painting pools.

Pool paints now seem to last 2-3 years due to EPA regulations affecting their formulations. Some folks report chalking of paint within a year.

We don't recommend painting pools.
hmmmm is that 2-3 year lifetime even with epoxy-based paints?
If anyone knows of a paint that can last 8 years (as I've seen some articles online mention), it might influence our decision.

just wanted to resurrect this thread of mine... had a question above asking if any type of paint will last or every single one of them, including epoxy and rubber, will have these regulations and not last long?
I did some some good reviews for this Supreme Paints company that maybe 1 person posted here:
Says its guaranteed for 20years?!?

Also I had a plaster estimate today... This person said I would need 2 skimmers (with just 1 jet return maybe on each) as our old concrete pool (30k gallon) had only 1 skimmer (and 2 jets in front of it) as painted pool don't really need the pool to circulate very well.
But with plaster they said we would want another skimmer/jet to redirect/recirculate water better otherwise will get stains on the plaster where the pool water didn't circulate as fast (something about the pool chemistry in the water needing to circulate touch the walls better than what we currently have). Does that sound accurate?
So they would convert the 1 skimmer to 1 jet (it has 2 now), and add another skimmer with another jet in another location in the pool.
I'm curious as we had a few other plaster estimates and none of them mentioned that we need another skimmer. So either this person really knows their stuff more than the other plaster people who visited, or they don't :).

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.