P.s.i after solar installation.

Ok that sounds like a correct installation. Parallel

Are you sure that the PSI without the panels is only 12 PSI? Is that pump an up rated or full rated pump? Do you have a model number? That is a little low for that pump so I just wanted to make sure that is the correct PSI without solar.

When my actuator swithches over to my rooftop solar, my psi rises by that amount. I don't see how this is cause for alarm or would be unexpected. I have been operating my rooftop solar setup in similar fashion without any issues with pool or the panels for almost 10 years.

Congrats on adding solar; you're gonna love it!

You should be able to find "Maximum Working Pressure" for your filter. Correct me if wrong, but I think the filter is commonly the lowest rated component. If there's a weaker link, I'd check that. I found 50 psi for a couple of cartridge filters. You could check other components fairly readily. This applies to the "is it dangerous?" question.

Is it normal? Sounds like +4 is normal, so you're a bit high.

If it was me, I'd avoid running my pump real close to its maximum head. Your pump heads out at 35 PSI so that sounds OK. Based on its pump curve, the pump is capable of pushing 95 GPM at 12 PSI and 80 GPM at 21. I don't entirely trust pump curves, but it's fair to say the % drop in flow is realistic.

That means a bit more run-time for skimming and filtration, and therefore more power consumption. The pumping experts here are amazing and can probably find ways to get some of your flow back and optimize, so it's worthwhile exploring the possibilities. On the other hand to get the most out of your solar, push max water you can, within what it's rated for. Gains beyond a certain flow are minimal, and hence why some bypass might be the better compromise.

I notice you also have a propane heater, which would have a minimum and maximum flow rate, and flow to it would drop as well. Probably fine, but I would double-check that to be sure the minimum is still met. Not dangerous or anything because the heater would cut out if flow got too low, but good to be in-spec for best performance.

As always, I defer to the experts!!

Enjoy the warmth!!

The potential problem here is over pressurization of the solar panels not the filter, these panels when heated by sunlight become somewhat prone to pressure damage, so it is important to take precautions to make sure they do not see excessive pressures.

Wow, thanks for all the support...

Since I've had the pool psi was always 12 with a clean filter. After solar panels were installed if I turn the solar off I still have 12. To check if the filter was a problem I removed it and ran the pump. Results were 12 with no solar And 20 with solar. So I know it's not filter related.

As far as the pump all I know is it is a Hayward super ll 1 1/2hp.

I clean my filter whenever it raises 5 psi from normal. so is running this system in the low to mid twenties psi a issue?

He should of put a check valve right after the filter too so when the panels drain, they don't drain backwards through the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As others have suggested, pictures of your setup would be helpful, as the increase in pressure being the same when solar is both engaged and disengaged is a real head scratcher (ie, what configuration change could alter your psi when solar is not even engaged??).

FYI, my solar setup has the send and return lines installed right after the filter. The valve actuator is on a Tee (the line out to roof solar), and right next to it, there is another tee for where the heated water comes back from the roof (with a check valve on it) and joins up with the preexisting line out to the pool. When solar is off, the water comes out of the filter and by passes the line out to the roof-just travels straight thru those two tees such that pressure is not thereby affected. Be interested to see your setup to perhaps determine what could possibly be accounting for that increase when you completely bypass the solar lines out.

Oops. Misread it. That woukd really be bizzare if it was the same pai either with it on or off.

So I guess we are back to trying to get to the bottom of that extra 4 psi over what is considered normal (tho at the risk of redundancy, my psi increases by 7 psi when I engage the solar with no issues on solar panels after almost a decade....same brand of panels).

I's guessing that the "valves" shown in his diagram are check valves and that the labled "3 way" is the actuator. Also assuming that the only reason to have a check valve in the line out is in case the pump is not running but the 3 way valve has inadvertently been left in the ON/OPEN position.

I think it would be helpful to know just how high that second panel reaches on your house. If your house has 2 stories, that panel could be upwards of 25 feet at it's highest point which, as is the case with my panel set up, would very much account for a greater "than typical" increase when solar is activated (being the sitaution with my solar setup).

If they are check valves, the panels won't drain on the supply side so that is a problem.

Also, once the panels are fully primed the excess pressure caused by elevated panels disappears. The pressure drops going up and increases on the way down so there is zero net static head loss.

Can you take a picture of the check valves? Certain check valves have a lot of head loss and would explain the excess pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.