Overwhelmed in Bucks County, PA. Hi! : )

I can not believe that all four pumps are bad. I agree with Jason that this still looks winterized, at the least your photo of the back of the waterfall shows the valves off.

Is it possible you could post a photo of both sides of the pumps near the bottom? If the drain plugs are not in, then the people that came put could not tell the pumps were bad.

If it truly has not been opened yet and given your current condition, doing what Jason recommended sounds like the wise thing to do.

Apparently when tested the pumps hummed but did not turn on.

Interestingly mu husband dicovered an electrical box we didn't know we had marked 'pool' and he thinks one of the breakers is tripped. But then they wouldn't even have hummed right?

I will try and take more pics tomorrow. Again I'm not sure what I am taking pics of, but I'll try and get closer to anything I think looks important! :wink:

Does anyone have kids who enjoy frog hunting? They would have a great time in our back yard at the minute! :-D

That would be nice!!

The pool guy came this morning. Getting the cover off was a project. It has some wire that goes down the side. He says that the filter we have isn't really big enough for the size of pool, so another reason to drain it and refill. I need a drink.... and can't have one. Dang! :lol:

I did take some pics of the pool now. It looks pretty bad - dead frogs, etc. Pool guy did say that he could see patches of the bottom of the pool which apparently is a good sign that it's not full of debris.

I think we are looking at:

$160 cover removal.
$1300 to drain and clean the pool. Plus extra if there is a lot of debris.
$1000 at least to refill the pool.
$$$$$$$ for pumps if they won't start.

I have heartburn. :cry:

Still I guess this is what it is - the pool wasn't even opened last year and I guess this is what some neglect will do. He also says we'll need an automatic pool cleaner at approx $1000.

30mwej9.jpg

2nk5nhe.jpg

No, he didn't try and start the pump - aparently that happens after we commit to the $1300 emptying and refilling charge.

I think if the pump worked we might stand a chance, but with them frozen.... I just don't know.

My husband has already fished out 4 live and 2 dead frogs.

That water doesn't look nearly as bad as some I've seen, and they were all cleaned up with just bleach and time.

I'd seriously consider cleaning it myself if it were mine.

If the pumps are just humming you can pull the back covers off and see if the shafts will turn if so you can post a pic of them with the cover off and we can guide you further.

I'd certainly try to get it going myself before committing to spending the kind of money they want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just from my experience, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and with posting some pics and them giving me advice, the fix for my pump was a few dollars compared to a brand new pump..............They are a great resource !

Can you read any of the markings on those elbows? If you could it would certainly help with the setup.

The way it's set up right now is to send a little bit of water to the spa and the great majority to the pool returns.

Everything looks in pretty good shape.

Hi Hoboken. Do not fret. Seriously! You will get there. With the benefit of hindsight (just opened a foreclosed pool with the help of this board...and trust me, said pool was a black mess and the frogs are still "imprinted" with "home" and come back to sing every night even thought it's all clean now!) I would take a slightly different strategy with the pool guys in order to get some action out of them. Eg. don't ask for alternatives and don't give the impression you're open to the concept of washing.

Call one up and schedule an "opening" -- provided you've budgeted that much. Openings around here, which include taking out plugs, checking the equipment (which is then warrantied to work the rest of the summer), taking off the cover, power washing the cover and deck, doing 1 vacuum, etc. run about $350. It's worth doing the first time, because if you follow them around while they're opening, ask questions, and take notes, you will then know everything you need to know about your pool equipment. Budget about another $200 to get yourself a vacuum hose, vacuum head, extension pole, leaf rake, and possibly a leaf gulper if you think for any reason there are leaves under there, plus the tool to lock down the safety cover, plus backwash hose if you need it (eg. if it was a foreclosure and they walked away, it may have been uncovered for months; but if it was a short sale, it is more likely to have been covered at the correct time, etc.) Our service guy will bring that for you on his truck, which is the easy, fast way to get the basic gear you need.

Once they open it, and determine FOR FACT that the pumps are or are not working (and I'm betting they WILL work...no reason not to -- what are the odds of FOUR pumps burning out simultaneously on a short sale, NOT a foreclosure?!) then you'll know which direction to go next. If they're not working, you might then have to fall back and punt (eg. there are lots of pump tutorials online, read the brand name, model # and google.)

However, if the pumps start up, next tell them only that you'll do the chemicals once you assess whether or not you'd like to drain and clean it, or whether you'll instead just clean up the water (don't get into the whole BBB thing...just nod and say you'll call them soon) -- If there's not piles of leaves etc. on the bottom, just have them leave the filter running -- if there's a lot of debris and you have a main drain valve handle and a skimmer valve handle, close the main drain valve to prevent debris from the bottom from clogging the line. Make sure before they go that they show you how to clean/unclog the pump basket, and how to clean your filters. Do not encourage them to put shock in or to "balance" the chemicals. Just say you'll pay to have them back once you've decided.

Then, take the leaf net, and scrape it all the way along the bottom from one end to the other. If there's a feeling of resistance (assuming you can't SEE the bottom) you likely need to net up leaves, etc. If not, you can likely just get started on the shock process.

Be sure to get your TFT100 kit first to take an opening reading, and then post back here. Whatever happens, these folks will be able to guide you step by step. But first, the cover has to come off; the pool needs to be dewinterized; the equipment needs to be tested with lines open and water available, and you need to determine what kind of recovery you're up for.

With respect to drain and acid wash, if this is not a great time to do so, you don't HAVE to no matter what -- just live with a season of stains -- won't hurt anything and it will give you time to get familiar with your gear and brush up on pool school. Also, though I see the rocks, I can't tell whether your actual pool itself is vinyl liner, or fiberglass, gunnit, etc. Since your pool is free form, and that's an expensive custom safety cover, I am kind of guessing whoever first built it likely spared no expense, so your gear it likely tip top. Here's hoping, anyway ;)

Best wishes and do keep us posted!

We're hearing $150/ hour for a service call. Should we schedule one of those to see if they can start the pumps? :?:

Can anyone identify the parts I photographed above? It might help us to understand which parts we are talking about - I don't even know which pieces are the pumps.

Also is that big grey dome box thing the filter? Or is that the main pump?

I'm going to order the water test kit and do the testing to start. Should we put in any bleach now, or wait for the results?

We fished out and rehomed 8 frogs today. My husband is apparently enjoying catching them!

The little (very loud) frogs are more elusive and some have taken refuge in the siding of the house. That doesn't seem good at all. :shock: They are singing away right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support