Overnight FC loss confirm something?

Thanks bama...
It has become quite trying.
The bottom has nothing in it in am so I don't know what it could be getting in at nite.

I'm going to take a break from as aggressive shocking additions cuz it is counterd with sun. I plan to keep it around 18 again through the day then pull to 24 after dusk.

I have always had the black greasy stuff. I always assume sunscreen residue.

At 7 it is daylight but not shining on pool. Tonite I will use last time it holds shock level 24 then test at 6am. Keep watch on post above to see progress. We will likely be in it this afternoon as it is obviously clean...thanks again.

Regarding the black gunk, are you perhaps downwind of an industrial area that may be producing this stuff? I ask because fine black airborne stuff is a constant problem at the marina where I keep my sailboat, it is located in an industrial area near several petrochemical companies.

Ike

Thank you Ike for your continued suggestions. I really appreciate ANY suggestions. I'm running low on POP at this point but I'm just stubborn enough to continue. I believe in this method so I keep going. The more we share, the more it helps others in the end.

There are no industrial facilities near my home. I live in a regular neighborhood. We are a heavily agriculture based community that could be the source of some airborne pollutants. When we get heavy rain and then my water level drops from evaporation or wasting, I have a similar deposit around water line. A quick sweep of the Magic Eraser and it is gone. So, it could just be something in our air. And, since I've always had it and just in the habit of wiping it out frequently, it really isn't a nuisance.

Today's progress since there's been a few posts in between when I began today. :wave: to all who may be lurking.

7am: FC 22, added to 24 (Overnight loss 2)
830am: FC 21, added to 24
11:00 am: FC 20.5, NO addition. Letting it drop to 18 and going to bump it to there today periodically until dusk, then hit to 24 again. Feel better about swimming at the 18 and lower than the higher range unless otherwise instructed.

Bama Rambler said:
They're not crop dusting around your area are they?
About 3 miles from here the farmer does crop dust, enjoyed that on a bike ride last year....(cough cough, spit).

I don't know about the others within a mile. It's possible.

Our major four lane highway is about half a mile (checking that with hubby) from our pool, but there's a big tree line between us. Possible pollutants from 18 wheeler deisels?

If John T is hanging around, can you chime in on this? He lives one county away so I wonder if this is something he gets as well.

11:00 am: FC 20.5, NO addition.
2 kids in the pool this afternoon. 1 adult scrubbing the sides of pool this afternoon.
5pm FC 16.5, added to 24
not as much black sludge, not that I think that makes much difference but who the heck knows at this point.
HEY BAMA!!!! Remember that patience thing you mentioned? I only play a patient pool owner on TV. I'm really not. :) But I am stubborn so I'm getting back after it this evening.

not as much black sludge, not that I think that makes much difference
I'm not quite as sure. The pic you posted made it appear like a rather significant amount....perhaps enough to account for the small FC loss your getting. I wouldn't normally say that but, again, it seem like you have eliminated virtually all other possibilities.

So maybe it follows the same logic as everything else this year...I'm doing it better so the problems I've had in the past shouldn't be there. And maybe this is just one of those problems manifesting itself that needs solved.

Just ordered FAS DPD refills. Using 40 some drops at each test is really tearing through my supply. Can I do 10 ml pool water, 10ml distilled and then one drop would equal 1 ppm or do I have that bas-akwards? I didn't do so well in chemistry. lol.

zea-
I was wondering how long before that was suggested when this black sludge started becoming a focus. I've thought about it, but I don't know the first thing about doing that as all my mechanical stuff is done by the pool company.

I'm scared to death that it won't go back together or I'll break something and then it snowballs. DH is home tonight so I imagine we COULD do it...is 'how to open your filter' covered in pool school? (fainting.......)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to keep it in perspective, doing some shortcut, rounded off, red neck math, If you never find the source the rest of the season, it will cost you about $30 in extra Clorox thru September.

Somehow, I don't think it's in your nature to just let it go and chalk it up ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:) but I thought I'd mention it.

duraleigh said:
Just to keep it in perspective, doing some shortcut, rounded off, red neck math, If you never find the source the rest of the season, it will cost you about $30 in extra Clorox thru September.

Somehow, I don't think it's in your nature to just let it go and chalk it up ( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:) but I thought I'd mention it.

You would be accurate.

Monday.

11:00 am: FC 20.5, NO addition.
2 kids in the pool this afternoon. 1 adult scrubbing the sides of pool this afternoon.
5pm FC 16.5, added to 24
not as much black sludge, not that I think that makes much difference but who the heck knows at this point.
HEY BAMA!!!! Remember that patience thing you mentioned? I only play a patient pool owner on TV. I'm really not. :) But I am stubborn so I'm getting back after it this evening.

7pm: FC 24, no addition. I'm rationing testing agents so I'm retesting before bed at complete darkness using that as my last reading tonight. Then, on Bama Rambler's suggestion, getting up before the sun and testing again. We'll see.
10:45pm: FC 21.5 No addition. Using this as last number for Overnite test. Not the 24 I wanted to end with tonight, but its close to 22 for my higher shock value and above the shock value from pool calculator.

On the opening the filter thing. We see what we'd have to do. We're PVC piped from the filter and I'm just afraid we'll mess something up. We've decided that if, in a few more days we are still having the ONFC loss, then we will have the guy come out to likely just change the sand. It hurts nothing to have new sand other than the checkbook of course. Knowing him, if it doesn't need changed then he'll tell me and we just have the service call.

1045pm Monday FC 21.5

O-Dark Oh-Five (6:05am): FC 21.5 That's zero loss overnight in case you haven't had your coffee yet!. CCs 0 also.

One little speck of black sludge. Hardly any.

:party: :party: :party:

Now I go back to my add to 9 each night and see what happens. I googled the sludgy stuff and many hits indicated the sunscreen residue. Bringing to my high target SHOULD break down those but is it possible that with the heavy user load I have and the amount of these that is used, I need to pull to 10 or 11 at night instead? I've switched from the water babies type children's sunblocks to the sport waterproof lotions and those continuous sprays. I follow the soak in for 20-30 minute rules as well.

Thanks all for the guidance and support. I'm going back to bed.

Yes it does.
I don't know if I will be able to eliminate the black stuff entirely but as long as the FC loss stays at zero to one overnite and the excessive daily loss is either slowed or managed by me adjusting my target at evening adds, then I can live with it...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.