Over flow washed away sand under pool

Jul 2, 2015
Corry PA
I am upset that I allowed this to happen, but it is my fault. When filling the pool this year, I made the mistake of forgetting to turn off the water when I left to do errands. The overflow was on the side under the deck and washed away sand causing the liner to enter the sinkhole created right under the ladder.
My husband tried to fill in the best he could, but only along edge of the pool. There is a foot long four inch wide and a few inch deep area that the pool liner stretched to fit.
We didn’t know what to do to fix it and now a couple month later, the pool is leaking about an inch a day.
Do we have to drain the water and remove and replace the liner? Or is there another choice?

Depending on the age of the liner you may be able to drain, patch the hole, fix the spot & refill.
But to be honest, if it ripped from stretching it may do so again upon refilling so you should probably just replace it since you’ll be doing the same work pretty much anyway. The liner will need to be pulled back to access & rebuild the cove & tamp everything down.

Reactions: jsygrls
Before we built an inground pool we had an above ground pool for a season. We had a small tear in the liner that we repaired. That required draining and a refill, but it only got worse. I would replace the liner, and fix the area in question before putting the new one down.

Reactions: jsygrls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.