Houma, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool is around 12.5k gallons. My SWG is an Intellichlor IC40. Which is a bit oversized for my pool. Last week I tested chlorine and ph and everything was elevated. Got pH down some but chlorine is still high. Like 9ish using drop test.
Quick test this morning and it is still up. I did fill to top and did a backwash to get some water out and try to dilute chlorine. Didn't do a drop test yet.
I have my system scheduled to run 8am-1pm, 2pm-4pm(high skim), 5pm-10pm.
At this time of year, is that too much? IC40 is set on 30%.
Salt levels are at 3100. Weather is cooler and we've had cloud cover for the last 4 days or so. So chlorine is not burning off.

Also. Doing some digging in IT setup, is there a way to not allow SWG to turn on?

What is your cya?
FC/CYA Levels
9ppm fc isn’t crazy high or anything
Fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya is totally fine for swimmers, surfaces, & equipment.

Here’s approx what your current settings will yield
IMG_8282.png

Reactions: cmiller73

The SWCG is just doing what you are telling it to do.. It has no brain.. It relies on your brain to control its output.

The whole point is that you must routinely test the pool water, and then adjust the cell's output (or pump run time) to only produce the amount of chlorine your pool needs..

Depending on your CYA, 9 or 10 ppm might not be high at all...

What is your CYA and what FC are you trying to maintain.

Having your FC too high is much, much better than having your FC too low. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just checked CYA and FC.
CYA - 60-55
FC - 13, did it 2 times.
No CCs.

"What is your CYA and what FC are you trying to maintain."
When I had my 18x40 AGP, I was holding CYA around 90 and FC around 5 during the summer months.
This being a new pool and less water, I'm still trying to figure it out.
Is it safe to assume that my IC40 being a 40k gallon pool SWG, is nearly 4times the size of what I need, I can cut it back to 25-30%?

I turned SWG down to 30% but it still seems like too much. Guess there is no way to circulate with SWG off. Don't see any type of setting for that.
Would there be some way to wire it so I can run it on a specific "circuit" and have it on a separate schedule?

Last edited:
Just checked CYA and FC.
CYA - 60-55
FC - 13, did it 2 times.
No CCs.

When I had my 18x40 AGP, I was holding CYA around 90 and FC around 5 during the summer months.
This being a new pool and less water, I'm still trying to figure it out.
Is it safe to assume that my IC40 being a 40k gallon pool SWG, is nearly 4times the size of what I need, I can cut it back to 25-30%?

I turned SWG down to 30% but it still seems like too much. Guess there is no way to circulate with SWG off. Don't see any type of setting for that.
Would there be some way to wire it so I can run it on a specific "circuit" and have it on a separate schedule?
You don't need to guess what % you need to set it at. Figure out how my you're losing per day, then use the pool math app to determine what % you need.

As far as your question "Guess there is no way to circulate with the SWG off". I'm not sure I understand your question. If you set your SWG to 0%, your pump shuts off?

Guess there is no way to circulate with SWG off. Don't see any type of setting for that.

You can just set the output of the SWCG to zero until your FC comes down for now..

The SWCG only works when you are in the Pool or Spa modes.. So another thing you could do is set up a Feature Circuit with a speed you want to run. Then schedule it to run my itself, outside the normal Pool or Spa schedule. This will run the pump and not turn on the cell.

You could also power the cell from an Aux relay, but that is much more work in my opinion and just not needed.

With a CYA of 60, your FC should be 8 or 9, so 13 is just not big deal..

Your cell, in your pool, makes about 13 ppm of FC per day. When running at 100% for 24 hours.

Or about .5 ppm per hour at 100% Or about .25 ppm per hour at 50% etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88

You can just set the output of the SWCG to zero until your FC comes down for now..

So another thing you could do is set up a Feature Circuit with a speed you want to run. Then schedule it to run my itself, outside the normal Pool or Spa schedule. This will run the pump and not turn on the cell.
Yeah I dropped it to zero for the weekend.
If I set a feature like in this pic, I can circulate without cell turning on?
So I understand correctly, SWCG only comes on when "Pool" circuit is on.
1700328956904.png

You don't need to guess what % you need to set it at. Figure out how my you're losing per day, then use the pool math app to determine what % you need.

As far as your question "Guess there is no way to circulate with the SWG off". I'm not sure I understand your question. If you set your SWG to 0%, your pump shuts off?

Doesn't look like I am losing anything.
I would like to circulate without SWCG coming on. I think Jim, gave me the answer I was looking for.

Reactions: jimbethesda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Based on the above schedule..

When the Pool Low schedule comes on, the pump should run and the SWCG should be off..

But.. Pool Low needs to have a speed assigned on the pump speed page..

If the cell comes on, when Pool Low is active, then your cell is not wired correctly.. It should be wired to the load side of the pump/filter relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just so you’re understanding- this is on the verge of too low w/ a swcg & much too low if manually chlorinating
You want to maintain fc in target range for your cya - see—> FC/CYA Levels
Flirting with minimum is an invitation for algae.
I realize you have the opposite thing going on right now.
For now you can turn the swg to zero% as recommended above & when you reach target 🎯 range for your cya (4-9ppm fc) then turn it back on and either turn the % down a tad or reduce your run time. Then Test & adjust accordingly.

Based on the above schedule..

When the Pool Low schedule comes on, the pump should run and the SWCG should be off..

But.. Pool Low needs to have a speed assigned on the pump speed page..

If the cell comes on, when Pool Low is active, then your cell is not wired correctly.. It should be wired to the load side of the pump/filter relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have set that pump speed to 2200rpm as it is under "Pool". But SWCG doesn't kick on. I double-checked that when I had it on.

Just so you’re understanding- this is on the verge of too low w/ a swcg & much too low if manually chlorinating
You want to maintain fc in target range for your cya - see—> FC/CYA Levels
Flirting with minimum is an invitation for algae.
I realize you have the opposite thing going on right now.
For now you can turn the swg to zero% as recommended above & when you reach target 🎯 range for your cya (4-9ppm fc) then turn it back on and either turn the % down a tad or reduce your run time. Then Test & adjust accordingly.
I do not have that pool anymore. I was using that as an example of my target at that time.
With this new plaster pool I have a FC of 13 and CYA of 55-60. Obviously FC is out of the range with CYA at that range. All my system equipment is bigger than what I should have for the size pool I have. So I am having a bit of an issue leveling everything as it should be. I am trying to schedule everything so I don't have to mess with anything unless something goes out of wack. Builder set SWCG at 80% when they handed it over to me. I though that was high and I believe I was right. Been backing down week by week but not really making headway on FC. It just keeps climbing. That is why I would like to circulate without SWCG. I am making too much based on the size of my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.