Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
We are putting in an outdoor kitchen and shower. We want to tie the sink drain and shower drain into the main drain of the house and our plumber says that is easy given the proximity to the existing drain/water supplies. The shower will be on a preexisting concrete pad. We don't want to break into it so have decided on a raised platform 8-10". We selected Ipe as the wood for the surround. The idea our local plumbing supply guru came up with is as follows:

Build a form out of Ipe whatever height we need to allow for proper drainage (8-10")
After installing the drain, fill the form with compacted sand to hold the plumbing in place
Use Composeal as the shower pan
Use a clamp ring to connect the Composeal to the drain
Fill the Composeal with river rock
Build a platform out of Ipe to cover
Lather/rinse/repeat!

I would love feedback on this or any other ideas.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan but you might consider using some concrete to build up a stable surface around the drain. It doesn’t have to be the entire area but maybe 6” or 12” all the way around the drain pipe. The composeal is a nice material to make a watertight basin but it relies in part on being placed on a solid surface (like concrete slab or sturdy subfloor). If there’s too much play in the composeal then it could tear or shift. You probably also want to use the more expensive 40mil thick stuff.

I think the project would be interesting to follow. I was able to solve our need for outdoor facilities by cutting an outside door on the wall of guest room bathroom that faced pool area. That Ipe will outlast it all and an excellent choice for longevity, water resistance, and it is beautiful wood! Though I've never constructed with it, I've used many a board feet making and selling my longbows with a bamboo backig.Ipe.1.jpgBack.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.