Outdoor pool causes tickle-in-throat and coughing

Apr 12, 2015
IL
Over the last few weeks, we have noticed that whenever we are in the pool, we have coughs. This is a 1.5 year old, a 3 year old, and both parents. Yesterday, we had family over and they were all coughing. We have decided not to swim anymore until we determine what is going on.

The pool is mostly covered by a pool cover. We open it when we swim and then usually close it afterwards.

The pool has an CircuPool Si60-Plus (60,000g) Salt System which I believe has lost some Salt Cell life. I am running it for 6 hours a night at 100% and sometimes even more during the day depending on how much swimming is occurring. Last year, I used to run it at a much lower percentage.

Current Levels:
FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 120
CYA: 90

Water looks great.

I have tried to keep the cover open for 4-5 hours then try swimming--but coughing still seems to be triggered.

I have heard of this symptom from Indoor Pools--but wasn't expecting it from my pool and I'm not sure where to turn next.

Thanks,
Pete

Well, there is nothing in the chemistry that would point to a cause.

Do you have a cover on the pool? Do you jump right in after taking it off?
That could have some the CC trapped in the pool that out gas after the cover is taken off.

Not a expert, but try something like this, boost up to 10-12 fc with bleach a hour or so before swimming and take the cover off. After swimming leave cover off for a hour.

My thought process is to boost fc to non swg levels to kill anything hanging around and to let any gasses go out of the pool. After swimming let the cc's out gas and come down.

I believe a swg produces CO2 and I have no idea if it would get trapped or cause a problem but let's give it time to out gas. Might be worthwhile to see what symptoms of breathing in high CO2 levels might be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding the water chemistry, nothing has changed (other than slightly lower TA / PH). However, I am uncertain when this issue started--but I started noticing it about three weeks ago. I also cleaned the salt cell a few weeks ago. However, I have not seen an improvement in cell performance. I am going to call the company that makes CircuPool and follow up on this individually.

As far as my next steps, I will keep the cover off for a while and switch back to bleach for a while to see if this changes anything.

Thanks!

One thing that I did do differently this year..

I used a water line cleaner called Power Blue waterline and tile cleaner earlier this summer. I used the contents of the entire bottle as I had some difficult areas to get clean. I am not certain if this adding a bottle of this to a 33,000g pool would cause the irritation but I am including it here for completeness.

Power Blue is just sodium metasilicate, aka water glass. I don't find any info that indicates it would be hazardous.

Is there anything new in the environment around your pool that may have changed, ie. new trees, shrubs, or plants?

The PowerBlue is the only thing that I knew for certain that I have done differently this year (environment, surroundings included). We spend a lot of time outside (next to the pool). The coughing doesn't persist unless we are in the pool. However, a small update. I have left the cover open over the last week. In addition, I have been loosing water due to a leak--so we have had quite a bit of turnover of water. The coughing issue has been mitigated for the time being. I will continue to pay attention and see if it comes back with the closing of the cover again.

While it might be something from the pool, it's also possible it isn't. Do your kids go to daycare? Mine do and I know that place is an absolute germ factory. They could bring something home and the timing could just be coincidence. I know I've been almost constantly sick since my kids started daycare a few years back. :?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.