Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We are having an outdoor kitchen added by a reputed builder. We already have a pool with travertine deck.

The travertine deck was mortared to the previous concrete patio at the edges of the previous concrete patio. The rest of the travertine deck is laid on polymeric sand.

The builder plans on building the outdoor kitchen (basically a 8’ x 30” counter with built-in grill and mini fridge) directly on the travertine deck. Is this typical?

It seems odd, and potentially concerning, to me that they would mortar the kitchen to the travertine deck, half of which isn’t mortared down. The travertine under the back edges of this kitchen are mortared to the concrete underneath, but the travertine under the front edges of this kitchen are just sitting on top of polymeric sand.

They said this is what they always do and the pavers won’t lift.

Does this sound right?

By mortared do you mean to say that the travertine is laid on top of a concrete slab.
The common method is to lay on polymeric sand, however if you have the $ to upgrade or your soil / elevation requires to have a concrete slab topped with travertine is ideal.

I think what he means is - concrete slab, sand, tile. Once installed and the edges trimmed to the desired shape, they lift the outside travertine tiles, remove the sand, and apply mortar to hold the outside tiles in place. That way there is no movement of any of the travertine tiles.

I know that is exactly how mine was done.

-Tom