Outdoor green pool problems

Richard, Thanks for the responses.
It is still cloudy last night, today. I understood that my entire pool should filter in 10 hours or something like that, so thought any carcasses would have filtered out :)

Do you think Floc would help? Or do i just leave as is and wait, wait, wait...

did Overnight Chlorine loss test last thursday night. And the loss was 1ppm and cc .5 so stopped adding liquid chlorine. Went away friday night for weekend. Put pump on timer to run 10hours a day through solar panels.

Came back yesterday water is somewhat clear, can see bottom, but not crystal clear.

Temp was 75
FC 18
pH 7.5 (don't know how accurate this is given the FC)
CC .5
ALK 130
CH 180
CYA 30-40 (difficult to test. if i put on white paper about waist level seems to be 40. If i just hold it in my hands at waist level seems to be 30)
Salt 3600

So could the Alkalinity being high cause the clarity issues?

Have you been doing the CYA test in bright sunlight with the sun to your back?

ok but why would i still need to SLAM it my chlorine is not being used up and cc is .5 or below? Actually when i look closely at water there are a lot of tiny air bubbles, that could appear as cloudy could it not?

There are three criteria. Clear water, CC of less than .5 and passing the OCLT and you have met two of three unless that pic is misleading. Look at some of the other pics on here and you will see how clear it can get!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are three criteria. Clear water, CC of less than .5 and passing the OCLT and you have met two of three unless that pic is misleading. Look at some of the other pics on here and you will see how clear it can get!

Well in essence i guess i have been slamming because my FC is still above 16 but going on tomorrow will be 21 days, there is no way it should take 21 days to clear a pool and have chlorine that high, especially since i believe any algae was gone last weekend. It must be something else causing it?

There are apparently 100 reasons for cloudy water.

The SLAM process depends on enough FC held continually to clear a pool and proper filtration to clear the water. I assume you successfully completed the OCLT to eliminate any chance there are remaining organics in the water.

Perhaps there is something not working properly with your filter.

Is it fair to say that while you *may* be able to end the SLAM once CC and OCLT say that nothing is being actively killed the time between CC/OCLT passing and "clear" is usually only a few days and so it's normally safer to continue the SLAM until all three criteria are met to avoid having algae grow back and waste all the bleach you poured in during the SLAM ?

I guess outdoor's question is "if the filter doesn't seem to be doing *it's* part, how long should you continue the SLAM after CC/OCLT both pass ?

I can't see you signature via Tapatalk but I don't remember seeing if you have a sand flilter or something else.

If you have a sand filter, going from this milky blue white to clear can take a week of 24/7 filtering.

iIRC, you are still losing more than 1 FC overnight. If you are, all the filtering in the world will not get you clear, you still have actively growing and recently dead algae (white cloudy stuff). I equate it to passing another car, if you are going 26 and trying to pass a car going 25, it's going take a long time to pass. You are technically passing the car but it would be more effective if you sped up. Cleaning the pool is the same way, you need to accelerate with good steady SLAM high FC to pass the always growing algae

OK so i have a cartridge filter, not sand. Before i put the stairs in i sprayed and scrubbed the whole thing with clorox.

Someone previously posted that you only have to clean filter when pressure is up20% from normal or something along those lines??? So i have not been cleaning the filter since the pressure has not changed. But yesterday i decided to have a look and it was quite dirty and had a lot of sand in the bottom of the filter. so cleaned that out. Water seems a better this morning, will see how much better by tonight it gets.

Finally a clear pool. So i broke down and added a clarifier last night and this morning it is clear. I believe that all along whatever was causing cloudiness, dead algae or something must be too small to filter out and was not filtering. I should have added it first thing and i suspect my pool would have been clear within 1 week rather than 3 weeks

FC 12
CC 0
Alk 120
CYA 40
CH 160
pH 7.5
salt 3500
temp 80

OK so i have a cartridge filter, not sand. Before i put the stairs in i sprayed and scrubbed the whole thing with clorox.

Someone previously posted that you only have to clean filter when pressure is up20% from normal or something along those lines??? So i have not been cleaning the filter since the pressure has not changed. But yesterday i decided to have a look and it was quite dirty and had a lot of sand in the bottom of the filter. so cleaned that out. Water seems a better this morning, will see how much better by tonight it gets.

Yep, we recommend cleaning filter when pressure increases 20 to 25% over clean filter psi. Since you found your filter 'quite dirty', maybe you need a new filter gauge.

Finally a clear pool. So i broke down and added a clarifier last night and this morning it is clear. I believe that all along whatever was causing cloudiness, dead algae or something must be too small to filter out and was not filtering. I should have added it first thing and i suspect my pool would have been clear within 1 week rather than 3 weeks.

You said the water seemed better after cleaning the filter, which was most likely the cloudy issue, imho. Clarifiers can work well when they work, and when they don't they just waste time and money.

Let's see a pic of your now sparkly pool :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.