Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

Is that a Stonemakers retaining wall you had installed? It looks very nice. We are considering using that product for a 60'+ long x 4' tall wall to make a somewhat level area for the pool. Haven't spoken to builders yet but considering using the retaining wall as a waterfall wall for one side of the pool since we have to build it anyway. Ours will be gunite. I have seen one of our short list of builders, who is also a Stonemakers intaller, use it that way. But I'm definitely a bit nervous about the prospect of having a somewhat tall retaining wall be along one whole wall of the pool. What if something happens to in one day... We would have some areas to get to the coping so it would not be flush the entire way...and a bench somewhere along the stretch. Would be curious on any comments you had regarding your wall.

Enjoy!

bmoreswim said:
Is that a Stonemakers retaining wall you had installed? It looks very nice.
<clipped>
Would be curious on any comments you had regarding your wall.

Enjoy!

No, the pool install guys just did it out of lumps of cement they mixed up. From what little I saw of the construction of the walls it seemed to be all done by hand, no forms or anything. They seemed to take wads of cement and plop 'em down in place then hand shape it. Then they "stained" the surface with the colors. We had two long walls and the cost was $4,000. Ouch, huh?

My only complaint is that the colors I picked out looked great until the pool builder "antiqued" the finish with a blackish glaze. I liked it much better lighter, and he kept trying to fix it but it just didn't work out. Too much meddling in colors is not easy with this stuff, I guess? I would have been happier with less antiquing. Its grown on me now though and people compliment it a lot, so I guess its ok <shrug>.

So far so good two years on now. The only problem is a couple of spots with cement efflorescence which we need to figure out how to resolve? I see they sell a product to remove it, but haven't yet investigated it.

I'd love to know your thoughts on the infinity autocover. I've been trying to talk my wife into an autocover in general but I haven't seen very many comments on ease of use or reliability on brands other than coverstar. Any thoughts?

We have been very pleased these past two years. It is a *huge* worry off my mind that there will be no unwelcome swimmers or accidents. In my city there have been far too many drownings (sidenote: in filthy, dark neglected pools left open.What's up with *that*?! ugh) so each time I hear of one I breath a sigh of relief that we could afford this investment.

Ours was put in two months or so after our pool build so we've got the surface tracks-they are barely apparent on the cement deck. I also figure if anything happens with the track they should be easily changed out. A co-worker had his side wall mounted tracks damaged when he had some sort of coping repair done. Our cover winds up into a custom made bench that also acts as a small privacy wall. We opted for the key access control rather than the "key pad" as it was cheaper and hopefully easier to service if ever need be? Some friends know where the key is kept and are welcome to use the pool anytime and they know how to open and shut it up, as well as how to put the cover pump on.
The cover is easily washed with a little car wash mix and a long push broom then hosing it well and letting the cover pump do its thing.

Hi. The pool looks great! Really, really nice. In a previous post, you asked about the doggie brown spots on the lawn. Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but I'm fanatical about my lawn and we have to dogs. We use a product called Lawn Guard that we get from Drs Fosters & Smith. The dogs think it's a treat and it has helped with the burn out considerably. Also on the efflorescence, we had a similar issue with our pavers and got an efflorescence cleaner. Basically, just spray it on, brush, and hose off (thoroughly). A little bit of effort, but it worked like a charm. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.