Our green monster! oh no!

I am confused, probably just misunderstanding you. You said you are running 24/7 but the filter needs backflushing every 10 minutes. You must be very tired!

Maybe you just recently added the DE and just started with this problem. Is it possible to add too much DE or overpack a sand filter? I have a cartridge so I am just conjecturing.

Hang in there! Pools don't get cloudy overnight, and they don't clear that fast either. But with consistency and sticking to the TFP recommended levels you'll make it. Have a good evening, and let us know how things progress or if you have any more questions.

OK, are you adding DE each time you backflush? That may be too much too often.
I think, but need confimration, that just like you don't add sand each time you backflush you don't add DE more than once.

Again,trying to help,we may just be misunderstanding each other. You have been at this so long I would have expected more progress. 3 weeks seems like a long slam

Yes only using de occasionally we are not adding after each backflush just once or twice a day and only a small amount of de when we do.. Like 2 cups in 2 gallons of pool water poured slowly into skimmer ..we are now thinking our filter may be undersized for the pool. Again we just bought this place and are using what was here.. We think pool was built between 1993 and 1995.. We have no idea of age of pump or filter however what we do know is on sticker on side of filter Hayward dreamline 1.8 sq. Ft filter area and 45 gpm max flow rate and Hayward superpump..1hp.. Is this our problem?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On the DE subject. You only need to add enough to raise the pressure 1 psi. That is usually around 1/4 cup. Up to maybe 1/2. Once you get the 1 psi, then watch for the normal pressure that you would backwash at. So if you start with 10 psi after backwash. Then you would DE until 11. Backwash would be at around 13 or 14. Those are just example numbers. Yours will probably be different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok good deal i didn't read the entire thing so i apologize if it was mentioned, hopefully it will begin to clear stick with the advice here no matter how long it takes or discouraged you get! Since switching to TFP method my only problem is I want to vacuum daily because I can see literally everything on the bottom of my pool.

Hi Allmar, and welcome. In the interest of troubleshooting, I just want to check a few things:

1. When you replaced the sand, specifically what sand and brand did you use?

2. Your sand filter is a bit smaller than mine (a 220t) but mine cleared a spring foreclosure swamp 4 years ago in 12 days...BUT it was cold, so I had a running start on the algae ;)

As such, what is your "baseline" psi? And you're only backwashing at 25% over, right, then running rinse cycle for 15-30 seconds to settle the sand? And you're running on filter, not recirculate, right?

3. How many times a day are you dosing your FC, and is it EVER below Slam level when you dose? You don't want to let it drop below Slam level at all, so target a bit higher if there are several hours between dosing, or algae in heat can still outpace you ;)

4. I didn't see your CH reading anywhere. Please post when able.

5. Suggestion...post pcs on steps for the next 3 days. Also hold a white piece of fabirc in front of a return to see if particulate is coming back out of the filter.

If there's no improvement at all in clarity in the next 3 days AND IF YOU PASS an OCLT, you may need to take a few uncommon swamp recovery steps -- either extra filtration from something like a Slimebag ( The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water. ) OR possibly a very careful floc ONLY IF you pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first.

The latter is usually not recommended unless its clear a Slam is truly otherwise complete but there is still particulate too fine to filter. I personally don't think your slam is compete, though you're getting closer ;)

BTW, while I suspect you will later need to address metals with sequestrant, same will not cloud, and you must first finish the slam because sequestrant doesn't work right in high FC. More on that later after progress ;)

Hang n there -- you'll nail it! Cheers to clear!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.