Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
After struggling with our pool for years, I am really trying to get on top of it and keep it up more diligently. In the past month or so I have managed to turn it back to blue from a green scum filled mess. I am to the point I’m not sure exactly the best order in which to get to the final crystal clear, clean floor, stable pump pressure stage.

(I have no idea if I still have correct pool info in my signature or even how to see it on my phone, so here’s the pool info)

~27,000gal pool installed around 1970, very basic and not very efficient water flow. We have a Hayward Aquarite SWG and cartridge filter.

Current readings using TF-100 kit:
TC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 310
CYA - 0
Salt - 4400 (the SWG is reading 2300, but it hasn’t been cleaned in a long time so maybe causing wrong reading??)

Since the SWG has been reading low and the water is still pretty chilly, it’s not generating so I’ve been using liquid chlorine. Obviously it needs more and I need to add CYA and calcium. Should I go ahead and do them all at the same time? Should I try to do something to lower the salt level? The filter needs to be cleaned again as the pressure is way up so do I do that first? I’ve literally cleaned the filters at least 8 times in the past month. I have one of those filter sprayers that goes on the hose, should I be pressure washing them instead so it’s not clogging up so fast? I haven’t been brushing or vacuuming as much as I want to because the filter is already clogging fast enough that I’ve been cleaning it practically every other day.

All this to say that this has so far been exhausting trying to get it right, so would anyone care to just make me out a To Do plan I can follow until I can get to the normal maintenance stage again??

Much thanks from ‘Tired in Texas’…
IMG_8199.jpeg

Add 10ppm of FC and test it again 10min later to see if it holds. If the FC is gone in 10min, add 10ppm more and keep doing that routine until it holds.

Once the FC holds, Get 30ppm of CYA in the water and then get the FC up over 5ppm and keep it there at a minimum so you can do an overnight chlorine loss test. If that fails, you do the SLAM process to get rid of whatever is eating your chlorine. All the other stuff can wait.

Last edited: