Order of Operations. Check my list please!

Candurin

Jun 30, 2017
South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Would someone kindly confirm my order of operations for pool closing (@Newdude has also offered plenty of help that I have already skimmed)?

First time closer, and for some reason, oddly nervous.
  1. Day before close, bring up LC to about 15ppm, add polyquat 60 according to directions (allowing pump to circulate water overnight).
  2. Vacuum pool and sun ledge area, as needed, and remove robot.
  3. Turn MPV to waste and remove some of the QUAD DE debris. Run a few rinse cycles to stir up filter and then run some more water to waste. This removes a bulk of the garbage and old DE (so as to NOT make a DE mess around equipment pad).
  4. Turn MPV to recirculate.
  5. Filter is now ready for disassembly and full clean.
  6. Remove eyeball fittings.
  7. Turn pump off and attach modified cyclone blower lid to pump.
  8. Place gizmo in skimmer and remove top rubber plug.
  9. Turn Pentair diverter valve to 50% main drains/50% skimmer and blow out. This should push plenty of air through entire system (both suction and supply). As this is happening (ensuring plenty of air to flow through), plug return lines in pool.
  10. Turn diverter valve to 100% main drain. Once plenty of air is moving, turn diverter to 100% skimmer, which will air-lock the main drains.
  11. Allow air to blow through skimmer. Once done, shut off cyclone blower.
  12. All plumbing should not be done.
  13. Add gallon of RV antifreeze through gizmo hole and then plug the gizmo.
  14. Place MPV on winter setting.
  15. Pull equipment drain plugs (heater and pump)
  16. Turn off heater gas supply valve.
  17. Clean out filters, filter housing and pull filter drain.
  18. Store all plugs, fittings and filter gauge in pump basket and put in garage.
  19. Cover pool
  20. Place cover pumps and run electric cords.
  21. Drink eagle rare and enjoy one of my padron maduro family 80th reserves.
Adding picture of equipment pad for context:
Pool Equipment.jpg

Day before close, bring up LC to about 15ppm, add polyquat 60 according to directions (allowing pump to circulate water overnight).
PQ is added at half SLAM, a.k.a. 20% of your CYA level.

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test prior to that to ensure you're closing without a nascent bloom. Then raise FC to half SLAM, add PQ and let it circulate for a day. I pre-mixed mine I'm a 5 gallon bucket. I did 4 batches with the PQ bottle and it really helped disperse it.

I don't know about #3 being a cart guy but sound like you know what you're doing. (y)

The rest is great. Order doesn't really matter so long as every leg gets blown. You may find that one order works better than another. Roll with it and adapt as you go. The first couple of times you're mostly figuring out how it's going to work best for you because the blowing part is rather simple. You hook the machine up and air shoots out an appropriate end.

I put all the drain plugs in a zip lock sandwich bag either in the pump basket, or a skimmer basket on my workbench in the garage. If i somehow dump the basket, they stay together.

Step 21 may be repeated and inserted between other steps as often as necessary. :)

My CL has been rock solid forever. Never had an issue this season (nor last). I think I’m good, because I’ll add some floating pucks for the winter (my cya needs to come up a bit anyway).

I appreciate the repeat on #21, but a bottle and only 5 sticks is an uphill battle :)

I think I’m good
I think I'm good as well, as the forums are littered with my love of running hot. But I will *know* I'm good after passing an OCLT. :)

Seriously, OCLTs are free. It's even dark much later in the AM so you're not waking up crazy early.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.