Options for Cleaning/Inspecting?

olevelo

Jul 1, 2023
Niceville, FL
I just wanted to confirm I don't have any options for cleaning or inspecting the sand on my filter without cutting all of the pipes and adding unions right? Kind of annoying. It works fine, but it'd be nice to have a better idea of what's going on in there.
20230806_153412.jpg

I just wanted to confirm I don't have any options for cleaning or inspecting the sand on my filter without cutting all of the pipes and adding unions right? Kind of annoying. It works fine, but it'd be nice to have a better idea of what's going on in there.
View attachment 520317
Get your self a couple of self-aligning pool unions. Cut the input and output lines on the horizontal runs. The backwash line may need to be cut as well depending on what it is connected to and a union could be use there. You can then loosen the clamp and lift the MPV out of the tank. To install a union another 1/2" will have to be taken off one of each pipe that is cut, not both pieces. Easiest is to just cut the pieces that are still attached to the valve. The union will take up the 1/2" gap left in the line. With the filter open, it won't hurt to add a 50# bag of sand as it probably has lost that much over time. Be sure to lube the O ring on the valve and tighten the clamp securely. It usually takes the ends to touch to not leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.