Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am running a Hayward Tristar VS 900 with an Aquarite S3 Omni Salt Water Generator. We just finished the pool and I don’t plan to purchase a cover till the fall. What RPM should I run my pump at? I plan to run it 24 hours while the colder temps are around unless someone here advises me on another course of action. What is a good schedule and good rpm to keep things balanced?

As low as you can go and still keep the SWG happy and keep skimming effective. Any RPM is good enough for circulation but both the SWG and skimming have minimums which can only be determined easily by trial and error.

So I would start with 1000 RPM and if the SWG does not alarm and the water travels over the weir door in the skimmer (instead around the sides), then that is probably a good starting point. Anything less than 1000 RPM doesn't save much in terms of energy. Only raise RPM if the SWG alarms and/or skimming is not effective.

As low as you can go and still keep the SWG happy and keep skimming effective. Any RPM is good enough for circulation but both the SWG and skimming have minimums which can only be determined easily by trial and error.

So I would start with 1000 RPM and if the SWG does not alarm and the water travels over the weir door in the skimmer (instead around the sides), then that is probably a good starting point. Anything less than 1000 RPM doesn't save much in terms of energy. Only raise RPM if the SWG alarms and/or skimming is not effective.
Thank you. I’m adding about 600lbs of salt tomorrow, take a sample and get the rest of the chemistry right.

BV,

I run my pump 365/24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM...

I agree with Mark above... As long as the SWCG is running and your skimmer is working, then there is no reason to run faster.

Edit.. Keep in mind your your cell will not work once the water temp is about 52 degrees.. I am not sure I would add any salt until next season.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am running a Hayward Tristar VS 900 with an Aquarite S3 Omni Salt Water Generator. We just finished the pool and I don’t plan to purchase a cover till the fall. What RPM should I run my pump at? I plan to run it 24 hours while the colder temps are around unless someone here advises me on another course of action. What is a good schedule and good rpm to keep things balanced?
Like mentioned above your salt may get wasted adding it now since it’s so cold, and if your plaster is less than 30 days old(if it’s plaster) they generally don’t want you to add salt for the first month.

Reactions: black_vanilla
BV,

I run my pump 365/24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM...

I agree with Mark above... As long as the SWCG is running and your skimmer is working, then there is no reason to run faster.

Edit.. Keep in mind your your cell will not work once the water temp is about 52 degrees.. I am not sure I would add any salt until next season.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you! How do I know if my skimmer is working properly? What things am I looking for?

Thank you! How do I know if my skimmer is working properly? What things am I looking for?
If debris is ending up in the skimmer vs the pool bottom, the skimmer is working properly.

Also, water should be traveling over the weir door vs around the sides.

You are looking for debris on the surface of the pool getting sucked into the skimmer basket.

Try different speeds from low to high for a day and see what difference you see.

My pool runs 24/7 at 1700 RPM and runs for 3 hours at 2400 rpm in the morning to skim all the tree droppings into the skimmer.

The amount of daily tree droppings needing to be skimmed depends on the season and wind.

BV,

Skimmers work because the weir door, causes the surface water to "fall" into the skimmer basket area. Without a weir door, the skimmer is about 50% less effective in capturing the debris floating in your pool.

In many older pools, the weir door is often missing, and some pool builders even remove it on new pools... :(

Your first task is check to ensure your weir door is there, and working. It is located between the mouth of the skimmer and the skimmer basket. It is a rectangular piece of plastic that is hinged at the bottom and tends to float up and down with the water level in the pool. You should be able to move it up and down with your hand.. If you reach in and hold the door down, you will instantly see all the water in the basket area go calm. This is because the skimming action no longer occurs.

Please let us know if you have a weir door or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If debris is ending up in the skimmer vs the pool bottom, the skimmer is working properly.

Also, water should be traveling over the weir door vs around the sides.
What if I had debris in the skimmer and a bunch of leaves in the bottom center of the pool? FYI I have a sporting pool. The deepest part is in the center at 6 feet.

BV,

Skimmers work because the weir door, causes the surface water to "fall" into the skimmer basket area. Without a weir door, the skimmer is about 50% less effective in capturing the debris floating in your pool.

In many older pools, the weir door is often missing, and some pool builders even remove it on new pools... :(

Your first task is check to ensure your weir door is there, and working. It is located between the mouth of the skimmer and the skimmer basket. It is a rectangular piece of plastic that is hinged at the bottom and tends to float up and down with the water level in the pool. You should be able to move it up and down with your hand.. If you reach in and hold the door down, you will instantly see all the water in the basket area go calm. This is because the skimming action no longer occurs.

Please let us know if you have a weir door or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do not have a weir door

What if I had debris in the skimmer and a bunch of leaves in the bottom center of the pool? FYI I have a sporting pool. The deepest part is in the center at 6 feet.
Skimmer with a weir door only picks up debris on the surface of the pool.

Debris on the floor needs a pool cleaner or vacuum to pick up.

I have debris in the skimmer though. Can you send me a link
There’s different sizes so just search for “skimmer weir” on Amazon. You’ll need to measure the opening or find the skimmer model number.

The skimmer will still do some skimming without the door but not as much as it should.

There’s different sizes so just search for “skimmer weir” on Amazon. You’ll need to measure the opening or find the skimmer model number.

The skimmer will still do some skimming without the door but not as much as it should.
I actually misspoke! I have a weir door and it is working really good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.