Opossum poop

May 18, 2018
South Louisiana
Good evening,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask… walked outside tonight to see a pile of what appeared to be poop on a bench in the pool. Scooped but it just dissolved into a big cloud so got a bucket and scooped some of the water out. I figured it was a raccoon but went to the cameras and last night at this time a ’possum walked across the patio and was startled by the motion activated sprinkler that I have out to keep animals away at night. Oh the irony. He fell right in the pool, swam across, and left a gift on his departure. Is there anything I need to do other than raise the chlorine and run the filter a while? I have a swg and no way to backwash.
Thank you for your help!!

Use Liquid Chlorine and raise FC not higher than SLAM level for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels
I would also run the filter pump continuously for 24-36 hours to filter out. It may be good time to clean your filter after the circulation.
When checking FC also check your CCs to ensure they are 0 to 0.5ppm (no higher) and you may want to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you have it all out of the pool. You would need to turn off the SWCG to perform that test.

Next time you find a questionable "bulk" in the pool, don't touch it to cause it to dissipate. Use a shop vac and open end of vacuum hose right over it, then turn on for a second. Gets it all, whether a dissolved dirt ball or poop ball.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.