Opinions on which model SWG to Purchase and sizing

It is best to adjust pump run time bases on circulation needs, see this article, and the adjust power level to get you as close to 50% as you can, and then adjust the percentage to whatever it needs to be.

You can do those steps in other orders, but this order will get you close to ideal as quickly as possible.

Just wanted to give an update on my installation. Installation went very smoothly and was easy to do. Took me about 3 hours total to install the AutoPilot system. Completed startup of all equipment, installed cell manifold and controller, cleaned up the pool and dumped about 40% of my water and refilled the pool. Here is where I am at:

Water temp - 54
FC - 0
TC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 66
CH - 350
CYA - 5
Salt 750ppm
copper - .2

I plan to add the recommended dose of chlorine tomorrow and have started to dissolve the CYA in 2 tube socks (1 in each return). I was able to put about 2 lbs of CYA per return. The calculator estimates my requirement is 12lbs total to reach 50. Is there another method to speed this up? Do I need to increase my TA to at least 80 or will it be ok at this level? The pool pilot is calling for 650lbs of salt. Should I add all of this at once? Do I need to wait until I have all of the numbers in check before I add the salt?

I am also running my pump continuously do I need to do this until the CYA is all dissolved?

Thanks,

JD

You can add your salt now, just make sure you brush it into the main drain to help dissolve it quicker. The CYA will take a few days to dissolve completely, so just let it run and you do not need to run your pump continually during this period. Go ahead and bring your TA up to around 80 - 100 ppm.
With cooler water temps, it's probably not going to dissolve any quicker.

Newbie here, but a pool owner for 14 yrs. Currently struggling with a Uniclor off-line salt generator (salt chamber generates chlorine gas which is injected into return flow via a venturi). System is very unreliable and user-UNfriendly. OK, end of rant.

I am planning to convert to an inline saltwater generator. Based on my 16,000 gal pool size, and the guidance here, I'm thinking an Autopilot Digital with SC-36 is the right choice. Or would the SC-48 be better? Are there any other options or factors I'm overlooking? If it matters, I live in N. Florida where pool is in use about 9 mos/yr. I have a cooldeck surround. No heater.

Thanks. LinkC

The SC-36 will be fine, but if you can afford it, I suggest you get the SC-48. The larger cell will last enough longer to make it worth your while to upgrade now.

"other options"? There are always other options. But if you mean options on the AutoPilot Digital, there is only one other option. They offer an optional relay to control the pool pump if you are using the SWG as your timer.

Thanks. By other options I meant would I do better to go with a Soft Touch, Total Cntrol, etc. The various models and features are confusing!

I have two mechanical timers now. One for pump and one for Polaris (cleaner) booster pump. They are interlocked so the Polaris won't run unless the main pump is on. I'll have to think about how I can simplify the power setup. Resetting three different timers every time the power goes off would be a pain.

I like the PoolPilot Digital model. It has a couple of features the others don't, notably an alphanumeric display with clear easy to read messages. Also, all of the Pool Pilot units are temperature compensated, which can be nice. On the other hand the PoolPilot models are not the least expensive SWGs available. If you are price sensitive there are some other good choices that don't cost as much.

The simplest thing to do with your setup is to leave the timers the way they are and turn the SWG on and off at the same time the pump is turned on and off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.