Sep 16, 2016
Upstate,ny
Hi there, I’m looking to replace my sand filter with a cartridge filter. I have a 4 year vinyl lined 26k gallon pool in upstate NY with a small amount of trees around at my neighbors property. The sand filter is fine I just want something that cleans a little better and less hassle of backwashing all the time.

I was trying to decide between the Pentair clean and clear plus 420 sqft and the Waterway Crystal water 525sqft filters. The Pentair is roughly $700 more. Is it worth it to go with the Pentair or go with the cheaper Waterway? Is there a different Cartridge filter someone recommends?

Thank you so much!

I have a smaller filter for an above ground pool, but I’ve been more than happy with my Waterway cartridge filter.

Pentair certainly makes good equipment, but for me personally I’d take the more square feet for less money and go with the Waterway.

Reactions: newdude

I love large cartridge filters, and I am a Pentair kind of guy.... But... I have two rent house pools with DE filters, that I hate, and when they die, I plan to replace them with the Waterway 525.

In my mind, there are some things where the brand makes a significant difference, but a filter is not one of them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: newdude
+3. As much as I love the flagship brands, they just aren't worth the insane modern costs. Equipment that lasts just as long and performs just as well is half or even 2/3 cheaper

Check out the sale on my filter today at Dohneys and others

Screenshot_20230417_075518_Chrome.jpg

It's just not worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Filters are a commodity. Especially a filter with no moving parts. If it filters well the name on it makes no difference.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
QC on Waterway filters is concerning based on reading this thread….

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I’d buy Pentair over a generic brand any day. Pentair has decades of experience in the market for hydraulic systems (pumps, filters, valves, etc). Waterway is a much smaller company that started off in the molded plastic fittings business and has only recently gotten into pumps and pool equipment. My guess is that most of their manufacturing is contracted out to overseas outfits and they do very little actual production of their own. I’m sure Pentair contracts out work as well but their sales volumes are an order of magnitude larger and they likely have a much more robust supply chain in place. The C&C filter has been around for over a decade and it’s a mature product which means they’ve probably worked out every kink there is in the design. Waterway May have “copied” the design but they have a long way to go before it has been proven in the field.

If you’re willing to take the risk on a small manufacturer and want to save a few hjndred bucks, then ok. But if you’re will to pay more for less potential hassle, then I’d go with Pentair.

but Pentair replacement filters are fairly pricey.
el,

Looks like 4 replacement cartridges for the CCP-520 are about $200 bucks.

Since most cartridges last well over 5 years, that is only $40 bucks a year.

I replaced my cartridges after 7 years, because I got antsy and not because the cartridges were not working.. :mrgreen:

I don't see that as too pricey..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.