Opening then delay question

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
I was needing help on Opening, but not totally opening.....
I filled my 14000gal above ground with about 50% city water. I left the cover ON, Yes I peeked under, and it was Very clean.
I added 1 Gal of 12% Chlorine. Ran the pump for two days.
I didn't remove the cover because I will be on vacation May 27 to June 15 (19-20 days) and it will be sitting with no intervention. My thoughts are that the Cover will protect for debris and the Chlorine eating sun. My test with a TF-100 kit today has these results.
FC=11.5 CC=2 TC=13.5 TA=170 CH=350 CYA=25 PH=7.8 Temp=54F
Any guidance for how I should proceed? Should I leave the cover ON, and add a gallon of 12% chlorine when I leave on the 27th, then see what I have when I return?
I assume I should run the pump a few hours per day?
Help me get it right.

That is over a month away- do you not intend to use your pool until June? I would want to open the pool & enjoy it then just raise fc to slam level with liquid chlorine, put some pucks in a floater & put the cover back on before you leave. If you have someone that could check on it around the middle of your vacation, add more liquid chlorine & maybe replenish the floater that would be ideal.
You can leave the cover on - it will need to be kept pumped off or you could overflow out of the skimmer due to water displacement. Consequently if you allow water to accumulate on the cover & it displaces the water in the pool once you pump it off the water level will be low so you must make provisions.

So long as you keep maintaining fc & run the pump it should be ok - the fc loss may increase quickly as the water warms up so you must watch it. Do you have a timer so you can run the pump a couple hours a day?

Reactions: Newdude
If you do happen get a bit of algae from not brushing/vacuuming it should be a short slam process upon your return if you keep maintaining fc.
Have you considered a salt water chlorine generator? It would feed your pool whether you’re home or not.

Thank you for the fast replies.
MDRAGGER, I do not have a heater and it is normally the end of May before the water temps get useable.
This is cental Indiana, the cool spring nights keep the water below 75F until around the end of May, when I will be leaving.
I do have a Timer and can run an hour or two each day. Is that enough time?
I will add a Gal of 12% and put a few pucks in the floater.
I got a friend that might stop by and add more, I doubt he would test the water for me.
I'm still searching for a lawn service for 1 or 2 cuttings. they only want to cut for the season or nothing.
I have looked/considered a salt water chlorine generator but concerned with initial cost and ongoing cost for the replacement cells.

That’s good to know more about your weather- my water is already 72 degrees!
I do a “soft opening” similar to what you’re doing & have been running the pool for 2 weeks with the cover on. The key is keeping fc up as temps rise - which you are doing.
Getting your friend to add chlorine while you’re away (about midway through your absence) would be great. I have a camera that overlooks my pool so I can check in while on vacation & if something looks off (like there was a big storm & sticks everywhere, an obvious water leak etc ) I can have my in-laws come investigate.
Perhaps put out a call on your neighborhood page on fb or next door for a teen who might mow for you.
With a swg you’re paying for all the chlorine up front (5-7 years worth).
The cells last around 7-10k hours (5-7 years with your shorter swim season.
You would want a 30k gallon rated unit. With the rise in liquid chlorine prices a swg pays for itself in 2-3 years now. It also removes the availability issue.

Reactions: Newdude
+1 for soft opening. Mine is running under the cover now. We had a blast of summer weather that broke records and now the next couple of weeks is back to 30s/40s/50s. With it 80+ degrees out for 3 days and the cover on, I lost 0 FC. The water is still cool, but still, the cover helps UV loss greatly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.