Opening the Pool, what goes first?

As far as I know my CYA was always lower then recommended, even last year tests I see readings between 50 and 60 at most. Right now I am at around 40-50 and I am not adding anymore. My chlorine just seems to have a hard time dropping. I did test around 11 today and it dropped to about 15 though, still seems like its dropping very slow with no extra production.

Here are my latest results:
FC - 9.5
pH - 7.2 (still not moving?, I thought below 10 FC it should read ok?)
TA - 100
CH - 300
CYA - 50

My pH has not moved at all since I started shocking early this week, is this a reliable reading or at this FC it could still be off? I guess my main question is can we swim in the pool? if not I really do not want to add baking soda as my TA is already high, maybe I should try to turn on the bubblers in the spa, that should raise the pH? I have always had a high pH so this is new to me.

jblizzle said:
Your pH is fine. Baking soda does not affect the pH much. You should use borax or soda ash to raise pH if required.

Swim away.

Great Thanks :)I thought Baking soda was Soda ash for some reason :) where could I buy soda ash, is this one of those regular grocery store items? Borax would be a great idea from what I see on Pool School but I do not think I have the test for it. If I wanted to start using borates, what test kit do I need ?

RafaelSvr said:
jblizzle said:
Your pH is fine. Baking soda does not affect the pH much. You should use borax or soda ash to raise pH if required.

Swim away.

Great Thanks :)I thought Baking soda was Soda ash for some reason :) where could I buy soda ash, is this one of those regular grocery store items? Borax would be a great idea from what I see on Pool School but I do not think I have the test for it. If I wanted to start using borates, what test kit do I need ?
Washing soda is the same as soda ash and can be found in the laundry aisle. Borax is also used to raise PH. I usually use Borax to raise PH unless my TA is low. Raising to a certain number PH wise with Borax will raise the TA by roughly half of what Soda Ash will. Baking Soda is used to raise TA. Baking Soda has just a slight impact on PH.

RafaelSvr said:
Hmmm sounds like they will all raise my TA to an extent, maybe I will give it a while and see if it rises on its own given my TA is already a bit on the high side.
Poolcalculator can give you solid estimates. Were you successful? Usually with higher TA you can aerate the water to get pH to rise more quickly.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.