Opening Pool this weekend - from Baquacil to Chlorine

Final Report for tnthudson's BBB Conversion

Hello,
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can help people who are considering converting to BBB. This forum has helped me so much, I'm just hoping this will help future 'BBB-ers.' :)
Well I must say that this conversion has been a learning experience. Thanks so much SeanB and everyone for your great (pre-existing) posts on the conversions, and for the help along the way.
Final Report:
I started Friday April 4, with that darn "Sno-ee" bleach from Big Lots, which was a mistake, I think...it must have 3% or so concentration, cause I was stuck at 1.5 or 2 ppm FC for quite awhile when I tested every hour for the first day.
Then I got Clorox 6% from Sam's on Saturday, hammered it good about every hour for 2 days...it held at 9 or 9.5 FC when I tested each hour.
Weekdays were tough because I work pretty long hours, so I guessed the low end (to be safe), and had my wife put in some bleach during weekdays. I did lay off some as the weekdays drug on, since the FC level would die so quickly in the sun. I tried to really load up to 15 FC each night, to get the most 'bang for my buck.'
I used 24 gallons of Sno-ee before switching to 6% Clorox...If I kept up with my count, I used about 140 gallons of Clorox before it was said & done.
I do think (thanks Waterbear for pointing this out) that the last stubborn bit of CC that I had was a result of my sand filter needing to be changed, because I was holding FC levels overnight and my water looked great, but the darn CC wouldn't die...I still get .5 - 1.0 CC when I test, but we've had alot of storms and leaves, etc. in the pool.
So total time to convert was around 2 1/2- 3 weeks, but could have been quicker if I was home to bleach every hour or two during the weekdays. And again, my bleach count is probably a little high due to the sand needing changing, but BE PREPARED to spend alot of evenings and mornings testing and alot of trips to get bleach!
My sand has been changed and my SWG is installed (except for the electric hook-up, which should be done this weekend), so I should have clear results to report next week, with a whole LOT of questions about running a SWG! :lol:
Thanks to JasonLion for your advice and Pool Calculator, I wouldn't have been brave enough to try this otherwise. And Mermaid Queen and Waterbear, thanks for your help, and Duraleigh also for your help and that great test kit (and everyone who has ever helped on this forum with BBB conversion, the previous posts helped prepare me for the POPP - emphasis on Persistence in my case - I needed).

Now for the pics!:

2459496494_3bbeae11a1.jpg

Cloudy with pink slime still left from last season

2458662293_b539b62689_m.jpg

2458662383_8a35cea453_m.jpg

Thank goodness for the warnings on the wild colors beforehand, if TFP wouldn't have warned me I would have been in a major panic!

2458662419_2cec5b59d0_m.jpg

Rain or no rain, the bleaching must go on!

2459496670_96a73726fd_m.jpg

I can see the bottom of my pool! (All due credit for that phrase to TFP, copyright SeanB) :wink:

2459496736_447fbb3252_m.jpg

Done! Actually, it looks even better now that the sand has been changed.

Todd,

As Gomer would say, "Shazzam"! That's a good lookin' pool!

Very nice work and great pics. Give your self credit.....you did all the work and made the comittment to do it.....we just "watched" :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.