Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
FC 0
Cya 0
PH 7.0 (maybe a little less)
TA 10

Salt 400 ppm

I'm planning on slamming first, then getting FC and cya numbers in order, then I'll test everything again and figure out how to address PH and TA. Is this the correct order?

Yes, you should do the OCLT.

I would also retest your TA. A TA of 10 is low and your pH would likely crash (drop very low) with TA that low. How old are your reagents?

Yes, you should do the OCLT.

I would also retest your TA. A TA of 10 is low and your pH would likely crash (drop very low) with TA that low. How old are your reagents?
A year old (I think) could be older

Edit: just checked, almost exactly 1 year old. Retested, still getting 10 ppm. PH is definitely low. The Ph test resulted in yellow that was a little off the chart (less than 7.0)

Last edited:
  1. Turn your pump on.
  2. Add enough baking soda to raise TA to 60 per @mknauss.
  3. Add 10ppm of liquid chlorine, pump running. Test after 30 minutes. If FC <3, add enough liquid chlorine to get back to 10, test again after 30 minutes. If FC>3 after 30 minutes, then go to the next step. Repeat adding enough liquid chlorine to get back to 10, until FC>3, 30 minutes after addition. Detailed instructions here: Ammonia - Further Reading
  4. Do an OCLT. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test Test FC after sunset. If FC is below 3, add enough chlorine to get to 4, retest 30 minutes later and use that as your starting value for the OCLT. You want FC to be at least 3 for OCLT.
  5. Only after you get FC to hold in step 3, get some chlorine stabilizer (dry) into some socks in the skimmer or in front of a return. Add enough to get to 30. It may be that you will need to do in batches, given the size of your pool. After it has soaked for 30 minutes, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze to get it dissolved.
  6. If you fail OCLT, start the SLAM, use CYA of 30 to determine your target FC. Print this out, read it 3 times, follow the instructions and keep it with you. Refer to it often...Link-->SLAM Process

Reactions: Thurston

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then no need to do the OCLT.

Is it just green, or is there a bunch of organics on the bottom (i.e. leaves etc.)?

1. Turn your pump on.
  3. Add 10ppm of liquid chlorine, pump running. Test after 30 minutes. If FC <3, add enough liquid chlorine to get back to 10, test again after 30 minutes. If FC>3 after 30 minutes, then go to the next step. Repeat adding enough liquid chlorine to get back to 10, until FC>3, 30 minutes after addition. Detailed instructions here: Ammonia - Further Reading
  4. Only after you get FC to hold in step 3, get some chlorine stabilizer (dry) into some socks in the skimmer or in front of a return. Add enough to get to 30. It may be that you will need to do in batches, given the size of your pool. After it has soaked for 30 minutes, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze to get it dissolved.
  5. Start the SLAM, use CYA of 30 to determine your target FC. Print this out, read it 3 times, follow the instructions and keep it with you. Refer to it often...Link-->SLAM Process

Then no need to do the OCLT.

Is it just green, or is there a bunch of organics on the bottom (i.e. leaves etc.)?

1. Turn your pump on.
  4. Only after you get FC to hold in step 3, get some chlorine stabilizer (dry) into some socks in the skimmer or in front of a return. Add enough to get to 30. It may be that you will need to do in batches, given the size of your pool. After it has soaked for 30 minutes, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze to get it dissolved.
  5. Start the SLAM, use CYA of 30 to determine your target FC. Print this out, read it 3 times, follow the instructions and keep it with you. Refer to it often...Link-->SLAM Process
I did a good job of cleaning before I closed and had a safety cover on all winter, so not a lot of leaves. Likely a dead critter or two.