Opening pool-Low FC, High CC...ammonia?

Thanks for the pics. The low CYA would certainly be a concern during the day, so it would be good to bump that up slightly. Get it up to the 30 mark at least. It's been about 6 days now since this thread started, and with clear water hopefully you're getting close. hang in there and maintain.

I’m trying to upload a pool pic but it won’t let me add another image. If get my CYA to 30 should I raise my FC to the mustard algae shock level that corresponds with a 30 CYA?

Ok. I get some brown dust that comes up behind the brush, wasn’t sure if that’s dead algae or pollen or who knows what. It seems to have lessened over the last week but is still there some.

Latest test results at 2:20 PM. Last Chlorine addition was at 7:35 this morning as I was gone most of the day.

FC 8.5
CC 0
CH 325
TA 90
CYA 35
PH 7.5

I brushed the whole pool and added 208 oz of 10% Chlorine to get me up to a 14 FC per the Pool Math Calculator. The brownish dust when brushing was less noticeable. I see it the most on the lounge bench that is only in about 6” of water. I wonder if this is pollen and not dead algae.

Ok. I get some brown dust that comes up behind the brush, wasn’t sure if that’s dead algae or pollen or who knows what. It seems to have lessened over the last week but is still there some.

Sounds like pollen, there's a description in one of the articles, pollen collects only on low spots, algae collects in low points and up walls :-!

OCLT results-2.5. I’ll keep at it.

You're close! Hang in there! And remember, that any FC over 12 (SLAM level for CYA/30) will get quickly burnt off by UV rays. So don't forget to get your last FC reading after the sun isn't directly on the pool in the evening. And verify that in the AM before the sun is hitting the pool =D

I’ve been getting my evening FC reading between 10 and 11 PM and getting the morning reading between 6 and 6:30 AM. I’m over a week into this and using $15+/day in chlorine. There has to be an end to this right? Frustrated to say the least.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OCLT -3.5 from 11:05 PM to 6:25 AM.
RATS! :brickwall: That's a healthy drop. It increased from the last one as well. I have a suspicion about either the CYA/FC balance or there is something still lurking in the water. I'm going to re-read the thread for any clues.

So looking back, things went really well for the first couple days, but then about the beginning of this week seemed to hit a brick wall wit the OCLT. Clear water but FC loss overnight. That would indicate some organic material still present in the system or pool somewhere. Last week you noted doing a lot of scrubbing in just about every area we normally highlight. What about main drains? Do you have them? Any chance some junk is stuck around that? We've seen it recently with another member where leaves and junk were stuck under the MD cover. Also, since your CYA seems to be in between 30-40, I would just round-up and use the FC of 16 to SLAM.

Silly question but need to ask .... the pump is running 24/7 correct? Water still crystal clear?

Water is crystal clear and the pump runs continuously. I have a main drain with a long drain cover on it. There’s one small leaf maybe the size of a silver dollar on the drain cover currently. My skimmers had basically zero flow when I opened the pool but I opened and closed the valve to the main drain a few times quickly and that seemed to loosen up whatever may have been blocking them as afterwards they had a slight vacuum feeling when I put my hand by the skimmer hole. The second hole in the skimmers have some debris in them since it looks like that hole is blocked off from the bottom. Should I install the winter plug into that hole in each skimmer to eliminate any organic stuff from mixing with the pool water? I’m out of ideas unless something is trapped in the lines somewhere eating up a bunch of chlorine.

Water is crystal clear and the pump runs continuously. I have a main drain with a long drain cover on it. There’s one small leaf maybe the size of a silver dollar on the drain cover currently. My skimmers had basically zero flow when I opened the pool but I opened and closed the valve to the main drain a few times quickly and that seemed to loosen up whatever may have been blocking them as afterwards they had a slight vacuum feeling when I put my hand by the skimmer hole. The second hole in the skimmers have some debris in them since it looks like that hole is blocked off from the bottom. Should I install the winter plug into that hole in each skimmer to eliminate any organic stuff from mixing with the pool water? I’m out of ideas unless something is trapped in the lines somewhere eating up a bunch of chlorine.
Can you use a turkey baster to "shoot" straight bleach into those areas? Not usually recommended, but if you have build-up there, that is exactly why the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is failing :-/

Should I install the winter plug into that hole in each skimmer to eliminate any organic stuff from mixing with the pool water?
If you are referring to the 2nd hole in the bottom of a skimmer that may not be used (sometimes plumbed to a drain), you don't need to close it. It's exposed to the chlorine and water as it passes over, so it should be okay. You did catch my attention with the comment about the skimmers being plugged at season opening until you messed with the valves a bit. I wonder if some debris is still stuck in the lines just rotting away? Do you happen to have a bladder device (i.e. Drain King) that you could push water back & forward with some force just to ensure everything is out? I don't want you to spend $$ unnecessarily, but figured I'd make note of it just in case.

I used a turkey baster to suck the gunk out of the unused holes in the skimmers and injected some chlorine into them directly. I may put the plugs in them this evening after my nighttime chlorine dose to rule them out entirely overnight.

I used a turkey baster to suck the gunk out of the unused holes in the skimmers and injected some chlorine into them directly. I may put the plugs in them this evening after my nighttime chlorine dose to rule them out entirely overnight.
:goodjob:

I got my FC up to 16 using the Pool Math calculator at 8:10 PM last night. I verified the FC level was at 16 at 10:48 PM before going to bed. It was at 13.5 this morning at 5:48 AM. An OCLT of 2.5. What could I possibly be missing?

What could I possibly be missing?
Beginning to feel stumped myself. You stated you inspected every inch of that pool. I think the only thing you haven't done (not sure if you can) is pull apart those ladder steps that are in the water. Curious ... on your equipment pad, is that a liquid chlorine dispenser? Or is it a regular tabs dispenser? I saw the tiny black hose so I wasn't sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.