Opening pool after 2015 Oct

May 31, 2015
edison/nj
Hey all,

Happy summer. I really need guidance from you all. We had new pool in 2015 (renovated from old pool), new water, new liner, new plaster. Last year because of some reasons we couldnt open the pool but yet close it by calling some pool services. Now we opened the pool today. Attached are the pictures. The same pool service came and added some chemicals into it and started the motor etc. 20170612_141115.jpg Now after two hours I turned off the motor to clean if any debris was in the basket next to the motor. When I restart the motor, it starts but I don't see water flowing inside the basket. I have attached photo of the piplines too. I chainging this knob from center to left and right bt it still doesnt work. I hear a hissing sound sometimes from the left pipe. Do you think there is some debris stuck in the pipes anywhere?

please help. Thanks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170612_141303.jpg
    20170612_141303.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 61
The hissing could simply be air trying to escape. Your valve is set to allow water to be sucked-in from both main drain and skimmer locations. You might try turning so that water is only pulled from the skimmer and see how that works. Then you can try the other way as well. That may help you isolate which suction line works best to pull water for the moment until you can get things going. Also, make sure that pump basket (clear lid) O-Ring is in good shape and lubed well with pool lube.

Once you know you have water flow and the filter is in good shape/clean, it will be time to remove as much physical debris in the pool as possible. Finally, you'll begin a TFP "SLAM" (link below) to clear that water. Of course you'll need your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C and post a full set of results for us to review. Once you get to that point, let us know and we'll be glad to give you some more tips n the chemistry.

Thanks for the quick reply Texas Splash. I had bought a test kit TF-100 in 08/2015 and kept it in the basement ever since. Do you think that will be still good. I did change the know to right side. I see water coming from the oulets in the pool walls. Also just to mention my pool has only one skimmer.

Thanks for your quick advice.

Most of the reagents should be good. Certainly the R-0013 CYA reagent, and probably the R-0014 (red) for pH. Your R-0870 (powder) for the FC testing could still be good as well. If it's clumped a little, you can grind it up to make it more of a consistent powder. Water moving is good! :goodjob: Now in a pool that dirty, make sure to watch the filter pressure gauge as it may climb rather quickly. You may need to run the filter on recirculate at times when you can't be nearby. You can also vacuum to waste any junk in the bottom if that helps. Just be careful of the water level if you do that. Once you know everything is working well, run & post a full set of test results and we'll help you from there.

Thanks clearing so much. I still have some questions and concerns:-

1) Should I start brushing the chemical they put on the liner. You can see in the picture the white stuff, some of it is clouds reflections and some of the chemicals.
2) Can I start cleaning the walls of the pool with the pool cleaning brush?
3) The pressure meter guage doesnt seems to work, but I can see pressure bulilding , what should I do, What do you mean by "ou may need to run the filter on recirculate at times when you can't be nearby."
4) when should I start or do my first test.
5) SHould I drain some water and add new water when the water clears up a little.
6) Do you think I would need to change the sand in the filter after it worked for so much of dirt?

Thats a lot of questions
:confused:.

Thanks in advance.

I think I have some problem, as I mentioned if the knob is in middle the water in the basket near the pump doest flow. Its been more than 12 hours and I see no chnage in the water. pool - Album on Imgur. Only the outlets on the wall are working the skimmer doesnt seems to be working at all. I read another post where someone had issue with the skimmer. (Skimmer suction) . I tried hose water from the basket and opened the skimmer line and saw some bubbles coming out and some activity in the skimmer. I tried to vacuum suck from the skimmer outlet while water still running from the basket to the skimmer.

The water collected didtnt have any leaves or debris, just algae. Also while the motor was on with water filetering from the outlets on the walls, there was little or no debris collected in the basket. I feel I am doing something wrong. Shouldnot the Skimmer be working here too to fatser the process of cleaning.::epds:::suspect:

Really need help. Thanks.

Good morning! :wave: Catching-up on your questions:
- Any chemicals the techs added to your pool should be mixed. Hopefully the pump is moving water good now, so you may need to help by brushing the walls/floor just to dislodge algae and sediment that has been there for a while.
- If the gauge doesn't work, you can replace them quite easily. Local pool store will have generic gauges, but many folks really like the glycerin-filled gauges available on TFtestkits.com.
- The recirculate comment was based on a filter with a multiport valve. There should be a recirculate setting that basically allows water to bypass the filter when needed. In the early stages, while you are removing heavy debris, it may come-in handy. Try checking water flow from the skimmer to the return just by changing the multiport valve to filter, then recirculate, etc to see if there are any changes in flow.
- Don't forget to update your signature. :wink:
- Based on your first tests, I don't see any reason to change-out any water.
- Change the sand? No, not at this point. Sand lasts millions of years, so as long as no crazy pool store additives were added that may have compromised the sand, it should be okay. You may need to perform a good deep clean though as noted on the TFP Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page.

I've looked at the pics you linked, and I see the poolside skimmer that looks very still with no movement. I also see the valve that controls the suction from two pipes. I'm assuming you have a main drain, is that correct? So if you have some water flowing back to the pool from the return jets, you know some water is getting sucked from either the skimmer or the main drain. Also, have you backwashed your filter yet to clean it? It may be good to do to ensure water is flowing through the inside of the filter properly. Remember the poolside skimmer will only catch surface debris that sits on the water before it sinks. It should be sucking water in though. Does the water in the skimmer change at all when you change the valve positions?

- - - Updated - - -

As for the chemical tests themselves, here's what you will want to do once you know the equipment is operating properly:
1 - Increase FC to 10 with regular bleach and retest in 10 minutes. If it dropped lower than 5 in 10 minutes, add more bleach to get the FC back to 10 and repeat until it holds for at least 10 minutes.
2 - Once the FC is holding for at least 10 minutes, increase your CYA with stabilizer to ensure you are at least reaching a CYA of 30. Here are some CYA testing and stabilizer tips:
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

When you get to the point where you add stabilizer to increase CYA to 30, then increase the FC to "12" which is your official SLAM level. Follow the instructions on the SLAM page (link below) and let us know if you have any questions.

:cool: Good morning. Thank you for taking out time to reply in detail. Yes we do have a main drain at the bottom of the pool (deep side). There is no movement in the skimmer when I change the knobs. I will backwash today. I was hoping to vacuum out some algae from the bottom and wall of the pool today, but the skimmer doesn't seem to be working. Hope the backwash would help. My concern is when the pool guy came he started the filtration process and asked for the basket of the skimmer which I had put away at a safe place 1 and half years back and couldn't find it for 30mns. I am worried may be something went in the pipes and is stuck? Because it stopped working just after the pool guy left (like always).

As for the chemical tests, the R-0870 (powder) for FC test has turned black? I think by look of it its is gone bad. Rest of the reagents looked good. Is there a local replacement for this powder that I can find in a pool store near by?

I am worried may be something went in the pipes and is stuck? Because it stopped working just after the pool guy left (like always).
That is a real possibility. Something you could try when the pump is off is to take a garden hose, maybe with rag wrapped tightly around it, and insert the hose into the pump with the clear lid off. Push the hose into the inlet opening where the water would normally enter from the pool. Use the rag to create somewhat of a seal and turn-on the hose to see if any water is flowing backward from the pump back to the poolside skimmer. If something did get lodged inside the pipe, maybe you'll be able to dislodge it a bit.

When the powder goes bad, it's just best to order a new batch from HERE. I doubt you'll find it locally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning,

Sorry was really busy last two days so couldnt do the small test you suggested. I didnt now and found two things.:cool: . The water does go through the inlet to the skimmer as I saw movement in it. second thing, I tried the reverse of what you had told. I put the garden hose in the skimmer outlet that takes water to the clear lid basket with the motor on and found something very interesting but sad. the water was streaming out from one pipes Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
Now I have to see how to fix this, leak. I dont want a big project, some simple solution/ easy fix to this. As I cannot start my skimmer without that.

Also when I backwahsed yesterday I forgot to return it back to turn it back to filtration and found a lot of water thrown out (little below the skimmer).
I will order the powder today. Thanks.

No change in water. The water is light green and cloudy now. on the shallow side i can see the algae settled dwn but still water is not at all clear on deep side. The filter has been running for 7 days no. non sto[p, just off for few hours in between.

For the skimmer you had suggest to recirculate, then the kimmer works for few seconds and the water movement stops again. So basically the skimmer not working, I have been vacuuming with an external wet vacuum. It helped me take out a lot of debris from the deep side. I have ordered the powder to test FC and CC. DO you think I am going in the right direction. When I vacuum now I see white particles more than green.

Please advise. My kids are waiting patiently. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.