Opening Pool after 2 years

I would get enough stabilizer to get it to 30 at least for now. It will help save your bleach from the sun. 30 is not so high as to make you use too much extra bleach but it will help the bleach you are using work.

Kim

Yes, but thank you for reaffirming. I took one large sock and filled it to the brim, about 2-2.5LBS worth, zip tied the top of it, and dropped it in the skimmer with a chlorine tab. I will be sure to keep wringing it when I go out there to rake for leaves.

OK, what i have a cloudy white, almost milky appearence. I went ahead and tested my levels, and they are;

PH - 6.8
ALK - 30ppm
FC - .5 - 1.0
CYA - 25 - 30PPM

Should I bump up my CYA some more? Start getting the PH within range?

No. CYA is ideal for a the SLAM Process. And if the water is cloudy, you'll be loading up the filter and losing/replacing water as you backwash so there's no point fine tuning water just to dump it.

You need to concentrate on Shock Level And Maintain. Keep the FC level up at 12. You might consider adding some DE to your sand filter to help filter out some fine stuff and clear it.

pH, TA, and CYA can all be adjusted in a matter of hours after the water is clear. You're in no danger of etching plaster with a vinyl pool.

+1 what he said. During SLAM the PH test isn't very reliable so it's something to adjust BEFORE you start to SLAM. Since you are already SLAMing you need to get through it and when the pool is clear and meets the requirements to stop SLAM and you drop to a regular 2-4ppm ?? FC, then you can tweak the PH, TA and CYA like Richard said. The CYA can take up to a week to show up fully in your test. Once added and you work (squeeze) the bag some occasionally until it's all in the water it still takes time for it to show up. You don't want to add too much as you need to drain water to lower it. So much easier to be a little low and add some later than try to do it all right away.

I found AquaChem DE at FleetFarm for about 25 bucks for a 24lb box. 24lbs will likely last a decade but the price was good and it was local, no shipping !!

Before I went to sleep last night, I rechecked and found my PH largely unchanged at 6.8 or a little above, I am hoping I will be able to clear the pool via SLAM and then get it straightened out. The FC was 12 and CC was 4. I am going to post pics of the pool at some point just to give you guys an idea. Thank you for the help thus far.

I am going to swing by the pool store on the way home and see if I can pick up some DE. Thank you for the helpful links

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.